Please report any problems to the Shared Tools Team at st-help@doit.wisc.edu    Broken Links? Missing Macros? WIKI Retiring Plugins
Child pages
  • Coordinating Group Meeting 2017-03-09
Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

Agenda & Notes - Accessibility/Usability of IT Coordinating Group (Coordinating Group)

Team's Box folder (members only)
Team's Wiki page (public)

Mar 09, 11:00-12:00, McBurney Center, Graaskamp Rm

Attending

Members:    
_x_Sandi Arendalkowski___Steven Boldt_x_Gary De Clute_x_Brendon Dybdahl_x_Ryan Engel
___Matt Goins___Andy Goldstein___Laura Grady___John Hare_x_Jini Jasti
_x_Haley Kerkhoff_x_Al Nemec___Jessie Nemec_x_Casey Schacher_x_Todd Schwanke
_x_James Skemp___Garrett Smith_x_Phyllis Treige_x_Peter Weil_x_Nick Weaver
Also attending as needed:_x_Rachel Jeris___Phil Jochimsen_x_Lee Konrad_x_Shannon Larson
_x_Don Nelson_x_Cathy Trueba   

Agenda Items

  1. Introductions
    • Casey Schacher is joining the team. Welcome back!
    • Carrie Nelson is leaving the team. Thank you for the great contributions you've made over the years!
        
  2. Agenda Review 

    • The proposals were submitted to leadership prior to this meeting. Need to adjust agenda items 6 and 7,
       
       

  3. Notes from previous meeting. (Handout) Please send comments and corrections to Gary.

  4. Campus update - Rachel
    • There was considerable discussion. Agenda items #4 through #7 were not addressed in sequence, but all were addressed during the discussion.
    • Action specific to this agenda item:
      • Among other items, the team touched upon policy.
      • We are not actually subject to Section 508 of the Rehabilitation Act.
      • We are subject to Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act, and ADA Title II, (this is not a complete list.)
      • We might not want to mandate compliance with Section 508 or WCAG 2.0 which is named in section 508.
      • Instead, we might want to mandate the equivalent of what we are required to do by law, then use WCAG 2.0, and other resources, as guidance to equal or exceed those requirements.
        • It is not the intent to aim for just the minimum required, but we might not want to make ourselves accountable for meeting a mandatory test that is significantly higher than those requirements.
      • Actual requirements in the laws are stated in general terms.
        • That leaves us with the problem of deciding how to comply, and deciding when we have met, (or exceeded,) our obligations.
        • That is a risk management question, and might be answered in a similar manner to other risk management issues, for example, cybersecurity.
          • The analogy with cybersecurity is not perfect, but the problem of compliance decision-making is similar.
        • Decided to further explore how to make the decisions.

  5. Campus update - Cathy
    • Was integrated into the discussion covering agenda items #4 thru #7.

  6. Staffing proposal subcommittee report
    Handout: Draft proposal
    See Coordinating Group Meeting 2017-02-20 notes for subcommittee charge.
       
    Action:
    • Report has already been presented to leadership. Review omitted.
    • Review subcommittee's draft (sent in advance), discuss (20 min), and finalize for submitting to campus leadership
      • Audience is: Provost, Vice Chancellor for Finance and Administration, Vice Chancellor for Legal Affairs, and CIO
      • Is it clear?
      • Does it say what it needs to?
      • Is there anything obvious missing?
      • Note: This is high level, not the final PDs
    • Send any additional comments by ______ via email to ______
    • ______ to forward the proposal
        
    • Further discussion of staffing was integrated into the discussion covering agenda items #4 thru #7.
    • Action specific to this agenda item:
      • Decided that it is advantageous to hire the Chief Digital Accessibility Officer first so he/she can build her/his team.
        • However, (important caveat,) the CDAO can't be the only hire. Leadership is critical, but the CDAO wIll need expert staff to support her/his the strategy.
      
  7. Audit subcommittee report
    Handout: Draft report
    See Coordinating Group Meeting 2017-02-20 notes for subcommittee charge.
       
    Action:
    • Report has already been presented to leadership. Review omitted.
    • Review subcommittee's draft (sent in advance), discuss (20 min), and finalize for submitting to campus leadership
      • Audience is: Provost, Vice Chancellor for Finance and Administration, Vice Chancellor for Legal Affairs, and CIO
      • Is it clear?
      • Does it say what it needs to?
      • Is there anything obvious missing?
      • Note: This is high level, not the RFP
    • Send any additional comments by ______ via email to ______
    • ______ to forward the proposal

    • Further discussion of the audit was integrated into the discussion covering agenda items #4 thru #7.
    • Action specific to this agenda item:
      • Decided that the audit can preceed hiring the Chief Digital Accessibility Officer.
      • Decided that the Coordinating Group should concentrate immediate efforts on moving the audit forward.
      • Decided that the audit should be more than an simple "audit", and more than running an automated tool and commenting on the results.
        • Need a more in depth study of systemic accessibility issues, and how to address them.
        • Finding specific flaws on specific sites is incidental to the study, not the focus of the study.
          • It's the deeper problems where outside expertise would be most valuable.
        • Sandi A. has some relevant material that was omitted from the final report as submitted. She will add that back in.
      • There will be at least two more meetings of the subcommittee.
      • Subcommitte will report back on progress at the next meeting (3/23). We are not expecting the final report until April.
      
  8. Sharing of technical fixes and best practices
    Action:
    • Deferred.
        
  9. Coordinating Group membership, followup
    See Coordinating Group Meeting 2017-02-20 notes for contacts.
       
    Action:
    • Deferred.
     
  10. Wrap up
    1. Action items
    2. Suggestions for priorities for next meeting (Thursday, March 24, 2017 during spring break)
      • Report from the audit subcommitttee
      • Deferred items above.
      • More TBD. Planning meet is next Thursday.
          
  11. Upcoming and On-deck items
        
    1. Possible topics
      1. Role of this group and relationship to campus efforts
      2. Campus Accessibility Site 
        1. Include complaint procedure? 
        2. Campus template and how using this link relates to unit specific accessibility links
      3. OQI poster - Phil
      4. Automated testing tool purchasing (AMP contract up this fall - Can potentially renew for 2 additional years)
      5. Accessibility issue tracking in WiscIT
      6. Short term changes and fixes to websites, including adding accessibility contact links
      7. Publicity
      8. DTAG presentations and updates
      9. Running campus-wide audits
    2. Long-term improvements – Getting It Right from the Beginning, follow up  
      Action:
      • ...
          
    3. Accessibility accomodation or complaint procedureAction:
      • ...
    4. Process for Handling Web Accessibility Exception Requests (Gary De Clute)
      Handouts:   
      Action:
      • Deferred.
          
    5. Accessibility Policy Revision (Gary De Clute)
      1. Possible interim revision to quickly incorporate the change to Section 508
        Handout: Proposed interim revision
        • Need to inform the community of the changes in section 508 ASAP, in order to give them as much time as possible to comply by Jan 17, 2018.
        • A minor (i.e. quick) revision to the policy could be part of the communications plan. A minor revision could address:
          • the changes in section 508, and
          • some adjustments related to the recent creation of the Office of Compliance.
        • Next steps?
            
        Action:
        • Deferred.
             
      2. Major expansion to address such things as training, formal liaisons/contacts, authorization to publish, accommodation and complaint procedures, and more. 
        • See Coordinating Group Meeting 2017-01-12 for more information.
        • Some of the items on the list could become controversial unless there is a broad enough discussion to arrive at a generally acceptable approach that satisfies both regulatory requirements and the concerns of the community.
        • Next steps?
            
        Action:
        • Deferred.

Future agenda items: (in no particular order)

  • DoIT plans for web accessibility testing and remediation 
  • How to communicate our progress to faculty.
    • One way might be to work through the Equity and Diversity Committees that are advisory to deans and are composed of faculty and staff.

    • Accessibility and diversity are related, followup (suggested at May 1, 2014 meeting). Note: we made brief contact with Hazel Symonette at the T&LS on May 19.

  • Accessibility of email. (Campus Communicators have discussed this, see 10/30 notes.)
  • Go over the implications of the new Wisconsin law on accessibile educational materials in higher education
  • Brainstorm how to build awareness of instructional content accessibility
  • See the Feb 11 meeting notes for more possible items.

Future Dates:

Furture meetings:

  • Coordinating Group Meeting 2017-09-11, 11:00-12:00, McBurney Graaskamp Rm
  • Coordinating Group Meeting 2017-09-28, 11:00-12:00, McBurney Graaskamp Rm
  • Coordinating Group Meeting 2017-10-12, 11:00-12:00, McBurney Graaskamp Rm
  • Coordinating Group Meeting 2017-10-26, 11:00-12:00, McBurney Graaskamp Rm
  • Coordinating Group Meeting 2017-11-09, 11:00-12:00, McBurney Graaskamp Rm
  • Coordinating Group Meeting 2017-11-23, 11:00-12:00, McBurney Graaskamp Rm
  • Coordinating Group Meeting 2017-12-14, 11:00-12:00, McBurney Graaskamp Rm
  • Coordinating Group Meeting 2017-12-28, 11:00-12:00, McBurney Graaskamp Rm (tentative) *
  • Coordinating Group Meetings

* Tentative meeting on Dec 28, between the holidays.

Liaisons

Members

MemberUnitMemberUnitMemberUnit
Sandi ArendalkowskiDoIT MarketingSteven BoldtDCSGary De CluteCIO Office
Brendon DybdahlHousingApril EbacherDoIT ADIRyan EngelLSS
Matt GoinsDoIT PTEAndy GoldsteinDoIT ATLaura GradyDoIT Marketing
Jamie GutkowskiDoIT ADIJohn HareDoIT EIS  
Jini JastiLaw SchoolHaley KerkhoffDCSAl NemecCALS
Jessie NemecLibraries

Casey Schacher

LibrariesTodd Schwanke, (co-chair)McBurney Center
James SkempBusinessGarrett SmithDoIT ATPhyllis TreigeDoIT Marketing
Nick WeaverUniv. MarketingPeter Weil (co-chair)Univ. Marketing  
Also attendingUnitAlso attendingUnitAlso attendingUnit
Phil JochimsenDoIT EISLee KonradLibraries  
vacant, (sponsor)CIO OfficeCathy Trueba, (sponsor)Office of Compliance  

Attachments

File Created Comment

DigitalAccessibilityStaffingSupport-2017-02-16-08-50.docx

Feb 27, 2017 10:01  

ITAccessibilityStaffing.docx

Feb 27, 2017 10:01  

Contact

  • No labels