Please report any problems to the Shared Tools Team at st-help@doit.wisc.edu    Broken Links? Missing Macros? WIKI Retiring Plugins
Child pages
  • Coordinating Group Meeting 2017-03-23
Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

Agenda & Notes - Accessibility/Usability of IT Coordinating Group (Coordinating Group)

Team's Box folder (members only)
Team's Wiki page (public)

Please note that agenda item #6 has an action item for team members, due by Fri, Mar 31.

Mar 23, 11:00-12:00, McBurney Center, Graaskamp Rm

Attending

Members:    
_x_Sandi Arendalkowski___Steven Boldt_x_Gary De Clute___Brendon Dybdahl_x_Ryan Engel
___Matt Goins___Andy Goldstein___Laura Grady___John Hare_x_Jini Jasti
_x_Haley Kerkhoff_x_Al Nemec_x_Jessie Nemec___Casey Schacher_x_Todd Schwanke
___James Skemp___Garrett Smith_x_Phyllis Treige_x_Peter Weil_x_Nick Weaver
Also attending as needed:_x_Rachel Jeris_x_Phil Jochimsen___Lee Konrad 
___Don Nelson_x_Cathy Trueba_x_Jamie Gutkowski_x_April Ebacher 

Agenda Items

  1. Introductions 
    • We have two new members, Jamie Gutkowski and April Ebacher, from DoIT. Welcome!
       
  2. Agenda Review 

    • Agenda OK.
       

  3. Notes from previous meeting. (Handout) Please send comments and corrections to Gary.

  4. Campus update - Rachel, Cathy
      
    • Original proposal for 3 FTE and an external audit is not longer going forward.
    • See agenda item #6 below for the alternative proposal.
    • Other discussion during the update:
      • We already have policy and guidelines, which can be found if one looks for them, but how do folks know they should look?
      • We need better communications with those who develop web content, expecially those who are not web technology experts. They might not know about the need for web accessibility, or how to find resources.
      • We need a more nuanced approach to web accesssibility policy rather than a standards-based approach. We could use a standard as one of several resources to help us bring our systems into compliance with the laws and regulations the university is subject to, rather than subject ourselves to a difficult requirement for compliance with a standard, which is not actually mandated by law or regulation.
      • There are advantages to having web liaisons (or some other title) who help manage the web publishing in their unit. We are not sure we have developed our web accessiblity program enough to create such liaisons. See agenda items #6 for a plan that would move us forward.
      • Multiple groups at DoIT and the Office of Cybersecurity have individually estimated the number of web sites on campus, but for different purposes and using different criteria.
        • It might be advantageous share information, and perhaps do some joint activity to improve our web site inventory.
        • The Service Inventory, already in progress, will identify web hosting sevices and other related services, but will not identify individual sites that are clients of those services, or are doing their own hosting.
      • It would be advantageous to share some of our recent lessons learned. There are web developer forums, and IT policy forums at which we can communicate with the relevant communities. The priorities in the web accessiblity guidelines could be adjusted.
         
  5. Project Management Status
      
    • Shannon Larson, from DoIT PMO, is now assigned to other projects. Thank you for your contributions! We'll miiss you!
        
  6. Program Review and Staffing  - Discussion
      
    • The proposal is for 1 FTE for a coordinator, preceeded by a strategic team of outside experts from higher education who will visit campus and help us build a strategic plan, and help us benchmark ourselves as compared to other higher ed institutions.
      • Cathy Trueba will lead the stategy/benchmarking team.
      • The CIO office is supportive of this approach.
      • When hired, the coordinator would implement the strategic plan. Further staffing, (or staff reassignment,) would be proposed after the coordinator arrives.
      • There was a very good discussion about what mix of advice we are seeking from the strategy/benchmarking team: strategic only, or a mix of strategy and technical. We did not settle on an answer during the meeting.
          
    Action:
    • Todd will update the proposal on Box, and send a message when it is ready.
    • Team members should comment at the bottom of the proposal. 
      • General comments are welcome, but please do address the goals of the strategy/benchmarking team, the mix of skills among the members, and particular persons who might be invited.
      • Please provide feedback by Friday March 31.

  7. Enterprise scanning and reporting - Sandi
      
    Action:
    • Deferred. The draft plan is not quite ready. Will be ready soon.
       
  8. Wrap up
    1. Action items
    2. Suggestions for priorities for next meeting (Thursday, April 13, 2017)
      • No items were named, but there are a lot of issues to work through, many of them noted above.
      • In partcular, we did not complete agenda items #7 above, so we should move that to the next meeting on April 13.
      • The planning meeting is in two weeks, on April 6.
          
  9. Upcoming and On-deck items
        
    1. Possible topics
      1. Role of this group and relationship to campus efforts
      2. Group membership
        See Coordinating Group Meeting 2017-02-20 notes for contacts
      3. Sharing of technical fixes and best practices
      4. Campus Accessibility Site 
        1. Include complaint procedure? 
        2. Campus template and how using this link relates to unit specific accessibility links
      5. OQI poster - Phil
      6. Automated testing tool purchasing (AMP contract up this fall - Can potentially renew for 2 additional years)
      7. Accessibility issue tracking in WiscIT
      8. Short term changes and fixes to websites, including adding accessibility contact links
      9. Publicity
      10. DTAG presentations and updates
      11. Running campus-wide audits
          
    2. Long-term improvements – Getting It Right from the Beginning, follow up  
    3. Accessibility accomodation or complaint procedure
    4. Process for Handling Web Accessibility Exception Requests (Gary De Clute)
      Handouts:  
    5. Accessibility Policy Revision (Gary De Clute)
      See Coordinating Group Meeting 2017-03-09 for previous discussion.
        

Future agenda items: (in no particular order)

  • DoIT plans for web accessibility testing and remediation 
  • How to communicate our progress to faculty.
    • One way might be to work through the Equity and Diversity Committees that are advisory to deans and are composed of faculty and staff.

    • Accessibility and diversity are related, followup (suggested at May 1, 2014 meeting). Note: we made brief contact with Hazel Symonette at the T&LS on May 19.

  • Accessibility of email. (Campus Communicators have discussed this, see 10/30 notes.)
  • Go over the implications of the new Wisconsin law on accessibile educational materials in higher education
  • Brainstorm how to build awareness of instructional content accessibility
  • See the Feb 11 meeting notes for more possible items.

Future Dates:

Furture meetings:

  • Coordinating Group Meeting 2017-09-11, 11:00-12:00, McBurney Graaskamp Rm
  • Coordinating Group Meeting 2017-09-28, 11:00-12:00, McBurney Graaskamp Rm
  • Coordinating Group Meeting 2017-10-12, 11:00-12:00, McBurney Graaskamp Rm
  • Coordinating Group Meeting 2017-10-26, 11:00-12:00, McBurney Graaskamp Rm
  • Coordinating Group Meeting 2017-11-09, 11:00-12:00, McBurney Graaskamp Rm
  • Coordinating Group Meeting 2017-11-23, 11:00-12:00, McBurney Graaskamp Rm
  • Coordinating Group Meeting 2017-12-14, 11:00-12:00, McBurney Graaskamp Rm
  • Coordinating Group Meeting 2017-12-28, 11:00-12:00, McBurney Graaskamp Rm (tentative) *
  • Coordinating Group Meetings

* Tentative meeting on Dec 28, between the holidays.

Liaisons

Members

MemberUnitMemberUnitMemberUnit
Sandi ArendalkowskiDoIT MarketingSteven BoldtDCSGary De CluteCIO Office
Brendon DybdahlHousingApril EbacherDoIT ADIRyan EngelLSS
Matt GoinsDoIT PTEAndy GoldsteinDoIT ATLaura GradyDoIT Marketing
Jamie GutkowskiDoIT ADIJohn HareDoIT EIS  
Jini JastiLaw SchoolHaley KerkhoffDCSAl NemecCALS
Jessie NemecLibraries

Casey Schacher

LibrariesTodd Schwanke, (co-chair)McBurney Center
James SkempBusinessGarrett SmithDoIT ATPhyllis TreigeDoIT Marketing
Nick WeaverUniv. MarketingPeter Weil (co-chair)Univ. Marketing  
Also attendingUnitAlso attendingUnitAlso attendingUnit
Phil JochimsenDoIT EISLee KonradLibraries  
vacant, (sponsor)CIO OfficeCathy Trueba, (sponsor)Office of Compliance  

Attachments

None

Contact

  • No labels