Please report any problems to the Shared Tools Team at st-help@doit.wisc.edu    Broken Links? Missing Macros? WIKI Retiring Plugins
Child pages
  • ITAccessCG Meeting 2013-06-27
Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

Agenda -  Accessibility/Usability of IT Coordinating Group (Coordinating Group)

 

 

 

June 27, 11:00-12:00,  at USouth

 

Team members:  Judy Caruso, Gary De Clute, Kathy Konicek, Carrie Nelson,  Casey Schacher,  Todd Schwanke, Jim Skemp, Joyce Tikalsky,  Phyllis Treige, Pe ter Weil.

 

 

 

  1.       Discuss IT Policy forum. At forum, extend an invitation for Accessibility Coordinating Group to visit depts./schools/colleges and invite people to join the list.

 

Action:

a. Current forum agenda and invitation indicates that the brief accessibility presentation will cover:

  • Background
  • Current activities
  • Available tools

b. Need to provide both handout and links to the resources. We will encourage attendees to take multiple copies of the handouts, to share with faculty and others.

  • Copies of the brochure
  • The one page checklist we previously used.
  • The resources list for instructional websites we previously used.
  • Perhaps the checklist presented at the Open Accessibility Alliance Conference earlier this week.

c. Joyce will send to the team a copy of the Iowa checklist presented at the Open Accessibility Conference earlier this week.

d. Need to develop the “roadshow”, so when we extend the invitation to visit depts we have something to show. We could also use the roadshow as the forum presentation, so that people know what they will be getting if they invite us.

e. Gary will send an special invitation to attend the forum to both the Tools Team and the Coordinating Team

 

  1.       Review updated spread sheet (if needed).

 

Action: None

 

  1.       Review last meeting’s list of activities for the highest priority audiences  (40 min)

    Should we create subgroups to work on some of it?  (Judy  recommends we just pick a spot to begin, clean up the spreadsheet, create a plan of action for the next 6-12 months and tell the sponsors)

 

Action:

a. No decision yet on forming subgroups

b. See changes and action items below (i.e. those from the Jun 13 meeting)



From the June 13 mtg: The group picked the following courses of action. The group did not decide whether or not break in subgroups for communications.

1. General awareness, across all audiences. Some ideas:
 

Brochure.
Share success stories via “Inside UW-Madison” electronic newsletter.

Articles in DoIT Tech News (e.g. when a tool is selected.)
Get CIO Communications involved (contact Laura Grady.)

Get University Communications involved (Bruce will need to discuss this with Amy and Tricia in order to get engagement.)

Share the link to the video of the CIO ’s speaking on the important of accessibility.

Update the DoIT accessibility web page s .  

 

Action:

a. Can we get some of he DoIT accessibility web pages updated in time for the Aug 6 forum? Could updating the DoIT accessibility pages be done by farming out a couple of pages to each member of the Coordinating Team?

b.

c.
 

2. Add to existing forums, (e.g. ComETS, IT Policy Forum…)
 

Create 10 minute “Roadshow” that we can take to such forums.

Would need to customize it to the audience in the some cases.

 

Action:

a. Presentation should include:

1. What is web accessibility and why is it important

2. How to get started (example: use FAE to scan your home page)

3. How we can help [who is we? the coordinating Team?]

b. May need multiple versions, for example:

  • for academic departments (perhaps a clip of a faculty member talking about the importance of making course-related web sites accessible.)
  • for technical people (perhaps a clip of a visually impaired person struggling with a web site that has accessibility issues.)
  • for administrative units (perhaps a clip of a university president talking about the importance of accessibility)

c. Gary will draft a presentation, leaving space for a 2-3 minute video clip. This might also become the forum presentation.

d. [who?] will search for video clips. We’ll evaluate which ones we like.
 

3. Re-invigorate the interest group: “UW-Madison Access access@lists.wisc.edu


Find out who owns the list now.
Start posting short interesting messages.

 

Action: Gary will find out who owns the list, and make arrangements so that forum attendees can join.
 

4. Since ADA coordinator is now unassigned, it may be an opportunity to get it assigned to someone for whom is can be a larger portion of their job, or better yet, get the ADA coordinator a full time assistant.

 

Action: None determined.

 

  1. Next team meeting is July 11. 

 

For a copy of the Communications plan see either:

  File Modified
Microsoft Word Document AccessCoordinatingAgendaNOTES20130627.docx Jul 03, 2013 by GARY W DECLUTE

  • No labels