Please report any problems to the Shared Tools Team at st-help@doit.wisc.edu    Broken Links? Missing Macros? WIKI Retiring Plugins
Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

Agenda - Accessibility/Usability of IT Coordinating Group (Coordinating Group)

Apr 17, 2014, 11:00-12:00, at Union S. Landmark Rm. (3rd floor)

Joint meeting with the Tools Team

Accessibility Tools Team members are invited to attend the meeting

  1. Agenda Review
     
  2. Guest: Garrett Smith, DoIT AT, Learning Solutions: developer working with Jon Gunderson on FAE
    Discussion:
    • Introductions
    • Garrett's role? What is he working on? 
      – Working on FAE 2.0, through June, funded by CIC. CIC will apparently continue to help fund development for another year, maybe longer.
       
    • Current status of FAE 2.0 and/or FAE Auditor
      – FAE 2.0 will be released in a week or two (before the upcoming conference.) In the next months, additional functionality will be added. Beyond that people are thinking about what to do next. We may be able to influence those priorities. FAE Auditor has been put on temporary hold so that FAE 2.0 can be released in April. Work will resume after the FAE 2.0 release settles down.
       
    • Can Garrett help us evaluate FAE 2.0 and/or FAE Auditor?
      – Yes on FAE 2.0, can help make contact with Jon for FAE Auditor. For example, Jon may be visiting UW-Madison to meet with Garrett.
    • Other...
       
    Action:
    1. Gary will send Garrett the requirements doc immediately.
    2. Garrett will send Gary a link to the development version of FAE 2.0. Gary will distribute it to the tools team.
    3. Tool's team will evaluate FAE 2.0 after it is released, and check off those requirements that it already meets.
    4. Tools team will prioritize the remaining requirements.
    5. Gary will send the prioritized list to Garrett, (and probably Jon.)
    6. Garrett will let us know when Jon will be in town to meet with him, so we can arranage to meet with Jon also.
    7. Garrett has a list of questions he will ask Jon about, and let us know what he can.
    8. Gary will add Garrett to the Coordinating Group.
       
  3. Division of labor between Tools Team and Coordinating Group during deployment
    Action:
    -- Great discussion! Proposed division of responsibility:
     
    Tools Team:
       Things that are specific to the tools (rather than more generally about accessibility at UW-Madison.)
    • will continue working on implementation, starting with phase I (draft of phase I plan is described in the notes of previous tools team meetings)
    • will handle all the details of rolling out the tools as a service (will let the coordinating group know what resources are needed for implementation)
    • will document how to use the tools, (rather than how to make web sites accessibile)
       
    Coordinating Group:
          Everything else, with some of the key things being:
    • general awareness of accessibility
    • process for integrating accessibility into the web development and publishing process (will receive input from the Tools team from lessons being learned in Phase I of tools deployment)
    • training (of which training on the tools is just one of many topics)
    • documentation on how to develop/improve web sites at UW-Madison (except for docs that are specifically on how to use the tools)
    • will report status and make recommendations to the sponsors (incorporating recommendations from the Tools team)
       
  4. Teaching and Learning Symposium – May 19-20.
    Subcommittee status
    Action: Deferred until next meeting.
     
  5. DEFER UNTIL NEXT MEETING – Organization of web accessibility guidelines and supporting material
    Handouts: 
    Discussion: Review draft documents.
     Questions:
    Action: Deferred to next meeting.

  6. DEFER UNTIL NEXT MEETING – Report to the sponsors
    Handouts: Questions:
    • At a high level, what are our greatest needs, as a team, or as a campus, that the sponsors might be able to address?
    • Can we give this to a subcommittee of three people that can draft a report with recommendations?
    • If so, chair? Volunteers?
    Action: Deferred to next meeting.
     
  7. Content Management Templates. Progress check.
    Handout: Results so far
    Action: Evaluators should send their results to Gary, who will add them to the spreadsheet.

Future agenda items:

  • Proposal on how to organize future accessibility events. See: email exchange on the topic. 
  •  Discuss how to proceed further with OSU document.
  • Brainstorm "Resources to help developers and content providers to incorporate accesssibility into their existing processes"  
  • How to start approaching "mobile" accessibility. Invite Dave Schroeder to attend for that discussion.
  • Go over the implications of the new Wisconsin law on accessibile educational materials in higher education.

Future Dates:

  • Teaching and Learning Symposium – May 19-20, 2014, see: http://tlsymposium.wisc.edu/
  • National Disability Employment Awareness Month – October, 2014, see http://www.dol.gov/odep/topics/ndeam/
  • Possible workshop sponsored by the Coordinating Group? – October, 2014?
  • Accessing Higher Ground conference – Nov 17-21, 2014, see: http://accessinghigherground.org/
  • Community of Educational Technology Support (ComETS) annual meeting – January, 2015, see: https://comets.wisc.edu/
  • Possible workshop sponsored by the Coordinating Group? – March, 2015?
  • Showcase 2015? – April, 2015?
  • Teaching and Learning Symposium – May, 2015?

Furture meetings:

Unable to render {include} The included page could not be found.

Coordinating Group Members:

MemberUnitMemberUnitMemberUnit
Sandi ArendalkowskiDoIT MarketingSteven BoldtDCSGary De CluteCIO Office
Brendon DybdahlHousingApril EbacherDoIT ADIRyan EngelLSS
Matt GoinsDoIT PTEAndy GoldsteinDoIT ATLaura GradyDoIT Marketing
Jamie GutkowskiDoIT ADIJohn HareDoIT EIS  
Jini JastiLaw SchoolHaley KerkhoffDCSAl NemecCALS
Jessie NemecLibraries

Casey Schacher

LibrariesTodd Schwanke, (co-chair)McBurney Center
James SkempBusinessGarrett SmithDoIT ATPhyllis TreigeDoIT Marketing
Nick WeaverUniv. MarketingPeter Weil (co-chair)Univ. Marketing  
Also attendingUnitAlso attendingUnitAlso attendingUnit
Phil JochimsenDoIT EISLee KonradLibraries  
vacant, (sponsor)CIO OfficeCathy Trueba, (sponsor)Office of Compliance  

Tools Team Members:

MemberUnit MemberUnit MemberUnit
Chris ArndtCALS Al Nemec (co-chair)CALS James SkempBusiness
Gary De CluteCIO Office (facilitator) Vince RoseDoIT Comm Tony TallmadgeCAE
Jessica JonesDoIT Comm Casey SchacherLibrary Phyllis Treige (co-chair)DoIT Comm
Emily MacalusoDoIT Comm Todd SchwankeMcBurney   

Attachments:

None

 

  • No labels