Please report any problems to the Shared Tools Team at st-help@doit.wisc.edu    Broken Links? Missing Macros? WIKI Retiring Plugins
Child pages
  • ITAccessCG Meeting 2015-01-08
Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

Agenda & Notes - Accessibility/Usability of IT Coordinating Group (Coordinating Group)

Jan 8, 2015, 11:00-12:00, McBurney Center, Graaskamp Rm 

  1. Agenda Review

    Sandi Arendalkowski, UX consultant with DoIT/CIO Communications has joined the team.
    Welcome Sandi!
     
    Notes from  previous meeting   – Please send comments, corrections to Gary
     

  2. Phase I Task Force (from members who are on both teams)

  3. Check in on open action items:
    1. Accessibility staff proposal status (Carrie Nelson)
      • Note from Dec 4 meeting: Add development of division liaisons to the possible job duties.
          
        Action:
        • Carrie briefly explained what is included in the proposal. Staffng is being recommended at three levels:
          • ADA coordinator's office at the campus level.
          • A leadership role (roughly along the lines of what Judy was providing in terms of leadership before she retired. but might also include an operational component as well.)
          • A technical role at the operational level (roughly along the lines of what a UX consultant might do if allocated sufficient time to do it.)
        • Proposal is close enought to complete that we will be able to discuss it with the sponsors in the near future.
        • Todd and Carrie will contact our sponsors and set up a meeting.
        • Make this the main topic for the next meeting.
            
    2. ComETS annual meeting (Carrie Nelson)
      • Status?
          
        Action: Deadline is Jan 16. Carrie will attend the meeting, and perhaps recruit a liason between ComETS and the Coordinating Group
          
    3. Follow up to AHG conference: how to utilize the recorded sessions. (Todd Schwanke)
      • Status?
        Action: Deferred
    4. March workshop (Joyce Tikalsky, Casey Schacher, Gary De Clute, with Matt Goins consulting)
      • One hour brownbag
      • Three speakers 15-20 minutes each. Proposed topics:
                   1. Overview of accessibility / Top 5 web accessibility checks: alternative text for images, tagged PDFs (go.wisc.edu/accessiblepdf), captioned audio and video, headings, color
                   2. Possible Screenreader demo, (otherwise Workflow) 
                   3. AMP tool demo.
      • See Dec 4 meeting notes for additional background
      • Status?
        Action: Deferred
    5. Showcase: April 14, Union S. Deadline for proposals is March 27.
      • http://quality.wisc.edu/showcase.htm
      • Idea is to highlight the workflow of a unit that has been systematically improving their web accessibility
            Joyce will check a couple of prospects.
            If that doesn't pan out, Gary will check with DoIT Communications.
            If that doesn't pan out, we'll have a dynamite poster in 2016!
      • Status?
        Action: Deferred
    6. Teaching and Learning Symposium May 20-21, Union S,.
      • Proposed topic: Accessibile Course Materials: Content, Technology, and Process.
      • Matt Goins will draft a poster session proposal and serve as principal presenter
      • Casey will draw up a bibilography
      • Gary and DoIT Comm will help with the poster development.
      • Group will help staff the poster session
      • Proposals are due Sunday, January 25, 2015

      • Status?

        Action: Matt is writing a proposal.
          

    7. Captioning Contract (Todd Schwanke)
      • Planning Coordinating Group participation...
        Action: Deferred.
    8. Process for (a) responding to complaints and (b) getting campus resources to units if necessary in order to respond effectively. (Gary De Clute)
      • See Dec 4 notes for more detail.
        Action:
        • After discussion, concluded that we need to consult with our sponsors on this.
        • The group believes it is important to have a process in order to assure that the intitution responds effectively.
        • The group is unsure about thing such as:
          •  who the initial contact should be,
          • involvement of the ADA coordinator (when, how, for what, ...),
          • involvement of Legal Services (when, how, for what, ...),
          • how ongoing coordination of efforts should occur,
          • decision-making process for allocating resources when necessary (who to contact, prerequisite for making an affirmative decision, ...),
          • etc.
        • Regarding the draft process itself:
          • Initial contact should probably be someone/someplace other than Legal Services. Many "complaints" are more along the lines of an "FYI". There needs to be some triage.  However, if at any point there is a threat of legal action, Legal Services should be contacted immediately.
          • Legal Services may not be the right place to coordinate the response of the institution. If we have a staffed accessibility consulting function, that might be a good coordination point.
          • ADA coordinator's office needs to be involved. Our staffing proposal is recommending staff support at that level.
          • We could have units contact accessibility@cio.wisc.edu to report a actual or potential complaint. Processing the traffic is not a problem (traffic will be low.) However, there are two things to watch out for:
            • We don't want units to send the user to accessibility@cio.wisc.edu. If the unit's website is the subject of the complaint/observation, the unit should be interacting with the user and resolving the issue.
            • We don't want units to have the expectation that they can escalate the problem to the CIO office, and that office will take care of it. It's their website, so it is their responsibility to respond and resolve it. The CIO contact point is for the unit to request advice and/or assistance, a limited amount of which will be gladly given, and more may be arranged as necessary, as a means of helping the unit rather than taking on responsiblity for resolution.
          • We are unsure how to communicate the availability of that address as a contact point in such a way that folks actually understand what it is really for.
          • It may be difficult to get units to report a problem (rather than, for example, ignoring it.) Is there a need for reporting policy here? Not sure. Main thing is to assure that informal complaints don't need to become formal complaints. We might not be able to resolve the issue (or resolve it quicly enough) in all cases, but user will see that are taking it seriously and doing what we can as soon as we can.
        • Todd and Joyce will contact the sponsors.
            
    9. Accessibility Guidelines development (Gary De Clute)
      • See Dec 4 notes for more detail.
        Action: Deferred
    10. December report to Sponsors (Joyce Tikalsky, Todd Schwanke)

  4. Liaison highlights (Joyce or Todd lead)
    • See "Liaisons" list below.
       
  5. Check in: A street view of accessibility (Joyce or Todd lead)
     
  6. Communications, such as announcements to listservs, Twitter, or campus calendar.

  7. Late additions
    1. Digital signage
       
  8. Upcoming agenda items
    • See "On Deck Items", "Future Agenda Items" below.
    • Action:

Liaisons

On-deck Items

  • Purchasing - Accessibility requirements for purchased software
  • See "Check in on open action items" for more on deck items.

Future agenda items:

  • Get more info on new Executive Committee meeting (invite Chris Holsman to a meeting?) (12/4 note: Check with Phyllis on this item.)
  • How to communicate our progress to faculty.
    • One way might be to work through the Equity and Diversity Committees that are advisory to deans and are composed of faculty and staff.
    • Accessibility and diversity are related, followup (suggested at May 1, 2014 meeting). Note: we made brief contact with Hazel Symonette at the T&LS on May 19.
  • Accessibility of email. (Campus Communicators have discussed this, see 10/30 notes.)
  • Go over the implications of the new Wisconsin law on accessibile educational materials in higher education (suggested at April 17, 2014 meeting)
  • Brainstorm how to build awareness of instructional content accessibility (suggested at May 29 meeting)
  • Brainstorm "Resources to help developers and content providers to incorporate accessibility into their existing processes" (suggested at March 6, 2014 meeting) 

Future dates:

  • Report to the sponsors – December 31, 2014.
  • Community of Educational Technology Support (ComETS) annual meeting – January 16, 2015, see: https://comets.wisc.edu/
  • Possible workshop sponsored by the Coordinating Group – March, 2015
  • Due date for Showcase proposals – March 27, 2015
  • Report to the sponsors – March 31, 2015.
  • Showcase 2015 – April 14, 2015, Union South – We have an idea already: Embedded Accessibility
  • Teaching and Learning Symposium – May 20-21, 2015. We have an idea already: Accessibile Course Materials: Content, Technology, and Process.
  • Report to the sponsors – June 30, 2015. Continue from here every Sep 30, Dec 31, March 31, and June 30....
  • Possible brownbag sponsored by the Coordinating Group? – October, 2015? 
  • Report to the sponsors – September 30, 2015.
  • National Disability Employment Awareness Month – October, 2015, see http://www.dol.gov/odep/topics/ndeam/  
  • Accessing Higher Ground conference – Nov 2015 (will be the week before Thanksgiving), see: http://accessinghigherground.org/  

Furture meetings:

  • Coordinating Group Meeting 2017-09-11, 11:00-12:00, McBurney Graaskamp Rm
  • Coordinating Group Meeting 2017-09-28, 11:00-12:00, McBurney Graaskamp Rm
  • Coordinating Group Meeting 2017-10-12, 11:00-12:00, McBurney Graaskamp Rm
  • Coordinating Group Meeting 2017-10-26, 11:00-12:00, McBurney Graaskamp Rm
  • Coordinating Group Meeting 2017-11-09, 11:00-12:00, McBurney Graaskamp Rm
  • Coordinating Group Meeting 2017-11-23, 11:00-12:00, McBurney Graaskamp Rm
  • Coordinating Group Meeting 2017-12-14, 11:00-12:00, McBurney Graaskamp Rm
  • Coordinating Group Meeting 2017-12-28, 11:00-12:00, McBurney Graaskamp Rm (tentative) *
  • Coordinating Group Meetings

* Tentative meeting on Dec 28, between the holidays.

Coordinating Group members:

MemberUnitMemberUnitMemberUnit
Sandi ArendalkowskiDoIT MarketingSteven BoldtDCSGary De CluteCIO Office
Brendon DybdahlHousingApril EbacherDoIT ADIRyan EngelLSS
Matt GoinsDoIT PTEAndy GoldsteinDoIT ATLaura GradyDoIT Marketing
Jamie GutkowskiDoIT ADIJohn HareDoIT EIS  
Jini JastiLaw SchoolHaley KerkhoffDCSAl NemecCALS
Jessie NemecLibraries

Casey Schacher

LibrariesTodd Schwanke, (co-chair)McBurney Center
James SkempBusinessGarrett SmithDoIT ATPhyllis TreigeDoIT Marketing
Nick WeaverUniv. MarketingPeter Weil (co-chair)Univ. Marketing  
Also attendingUnitAlso attendingUnitAlso attendingUnit
Phil JochimsenDoIT EISLee KonradLibraries  
vacant, (sponsor)CIO OfficeCathy Trueba, (sponsor)Office of Compliance  

Attachments:

File Created Comment

Web accessibility complaint response process-2014-12-16.docx

Dec 30, 2014 08:34  

Contact

  • No labels