Please report any problems to the Shared Tools Team at st-help@doit.wisc.edu    Broken Links? Missing Macros? WIKI Retiring Plugins
Child pages
  • ITAccessCG Meeting 2015-02-05
Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

Agenda & Notes - Accessibility/Usability of IT Coordinating Group (Coordinating Group)

Feb 05, 2015, 11:00-12:00, McBurney Center, Graaskamp Rm

  1. Agenda Review
    We moved item 4e (captioning contract) to the first item on the agenda.
     
    Notes from   previous meeting   – Please send comments, corrections to Gary
     

  2. Phase I Task Force (from members who are on both teams)

    Action:

  3. Accessibility staff proposal status (Carrie Nelson, Todd Schwanke)
      
    Action:  
    • There is meeting scheduled with the sponsors on Monday, Feb 16, 11:00-12:00, 445 Henry Mall, Suite 502.
        
  4. Check in on open action items:
       
    1. Follow up to AHG conference: how to utilize the recorded sessions. (Todd Schwanke)
      Action: Pending. No fixed deadline on this.
        
    2. March workshop (Joyce Tikalsky, Casey Schacher, Gary De Clute, with Matt Goins consulting)
      • One hour brownbag
      • Three speakers 15-20 minutes each. Proposed topics:
                   1. Overview of accessibility / Top 5 web accessibility checks: alternative text for images, tagged PDFs (go.wisc.edu/accessiblepdf), captioned audio and video, headings, color
                   2. Possible Screenreader demo, (otherwise Workflow) 
                   3. AMP tool demo.
      • See Dec 4 meeting notes for additional background
      • Status?
          
        Action:
        • There has been lots of email traffic among the subcommittee regarding the arrangements.
        • No final decision yet on date or venue.
        • Speakers still being discussed.
        • Topics are dependent upon the speakers.
            
    3. Showcase: April 14, Union S. Deadline for proposals is March 27.
      • http://quality.wisc.edu/showcase.htm
      • Idea is to highlight the workflow of a unit that has been systematically improving their web accessibility
            Joyce will check a couple of prospects.
            If that doesn't pan out, Gary will check with DoIT Communications.
            If that doesn't pan out, we'll have a dynamite poster in 2016!
      • Status?
          
        Action:
        • Joyce has suggested a possible poster session.
        • Need to discuss it at or next meeting.
        • The idea is a flowchart that demonstrates a way to share information about accessibility just in time at key points. It includes getting information about accessible PDFs to key people who upload them to websites.
        • For most websites, the key points happen before a website is constructed -- when a domain name is created or an account is created for building a website. For applications, accessibility can sometimes be injected into the expectations document or specifications.
            
    4. Teaching and Learning Symposium May 20-21, Union S,.
      • Proposed topic: Accessibile Course Materials: Content, Technology, and Process.
      • Matt Goins is serving as principal presenter and has submitted the proposal.
      • Casey will draw up a bibilography
      • Gary and DoIT Comm will help with the poster development.
      • Group will help staff the poster session

        Action: (From Jan 22 meeting)

        • Wait to see if we are accepted.

        • If so, start development of poster and materials.

        • Is this an opportunity to increase awareness of the need for high level accessibility leadership?
            

    5. Captioning Contract (Sandi Arendalkowski, Todd Schwanke)
      • Planning Coordinating Group participation...collecting feedback and determining next steps
          
        Action: Sandi has notes. Send additional feedback to Sandi.
          
    6. Process for (a) responding to complaints and (b) getting campus resources to units if necessary in order to respond effectively. (Gary De Clute)
      • See Dec 4, Jan 8 and Jan 22 notes for more detail.
          
        Action: Need further guidance from our sponors. No definite plan yet for obtaining that.
          
    7. Accessibility Guidelines development (Gary De Clute)
      • See  Dec 4 notes for more detail.
          
        Action:
        • Gary apologized for the fourth time about lack of progress on it.
        • The Phase I Task Force is expecting something from us prior to the general rollout of AMP to campus in Mid-2015.
            
    8. December report to Sponsors (Joyce Tikalsky, Todd Schwanke)
      • Joyce has a draft mostly complete.
      • Consider calling it the "Winter report" rather than the "December report".
      • Gary will pass this on the Joyce.

  5. Liaison highlights (Joyce or Todd lead)
    • See "Liaisons" list below.
        
  6. Upcoming agenda items
    • See "On Deck Items", "Future Agenda Items" below.
    • Action:

Liaisons

On-deck Items

  • Purchasing - Accessibility requirements for purchased software
  • See "Check in on open action items" for more on deck items.

Future agenda items:

  • Get more info on new Executive Committee meeting (invite Chris Holsman to a meeting?) (12/4 note: Check with Phyllis on this item.)
  • How to communicate our progress to faculty.
    • One way might be to work through the Equity and Diversity Committees that are advisory to deans and are composed of faculty and staff.
    • Accessibility and diversity are related, followup (suggested at May 1, 2014 meeting). Note: we made brief contact with Hazel Symonette at the T&LS on May 19.
  • Accessibility of email. (Campus Communicators have discussed this, see 10/30 notes.)
  • Go over the implications of the new Wisconsin law on accessibile educational materials in higher education (suggested at April 17, 2014 meeting)
  • Brainstorm how to build awareness of instructional content accessibility (suggested at May 29 meeting)
  • Brainstorm "Resources to help developers and content providers to incorporate accessibility into their existing processes" (suggested at March 6, 2014 meeting) 

Future dates:

  • Report to the sponsors – December 31, 2014.
  • Community of Educational Technology Support (ComETS) annual meeting – January 16, 2015, see: https://comets.wisc.edu/
  • Possible workshop sponsored by the Coordinating Group – March, 2015
  • Due date for Showcase proposals – March 27, 2015
  • Report to the sponsors – March 31, 2015.
  • Showcase 2015 – April 14, 2015, Union South – We have an idea already: Embedded Accessibility
  • Teaching and Learning Symposium – May 20-21, 2015. We have an idea already: Accessibile Course Materials: Content, Technology, and Process.
  • Report to the sponsors – June 30, 2015. Continue from here every Sep 30, Dec 31, March 31, and June 30....
  • Possible brownbag sponsored by the Coordinating Group? – October, 2015? 
  • Report to the sponsors – September 30, 2015.
  • National Disability Employment Awareness Month – October, 2015, see http://www.dol.gov/odep/topics/ndeam/  
  • Accessing Higher Ground conference – Nov 2015 (will be the week before Thanksgiving), see: http://accessinghigherground.org/  

Furture meetings:

  • Coordinating Group Meeting 2017-09-11, 11:00-12:00, McBurney Graaskamp Rm
  • Coordinating Group Meeting 2017-09-28, 11:00-12:00, McBurney Graaskamp Rm
  • Coordinating Group Meeting 2017-10-12, 11:00-12:00, McBurney Graaskamp Rm
  • Coordinating Group Meeting 2017-10-26, 11:00-12:00, McBurney Graaskamp Rm
  • Coordinating Group Meeting 2017-11-09, 11:00-12:00, McBurney Graaskamp Rm
  • Coordinating Group Meeting 2017-11-23, 11:00-12:00, McBurney Graaskamp Rm
  • Coordinating Group Meeting 2017-12-14, 11:00-12:00, McBurney Graaskamp Rm
  • Coordinating Group Meeting 2017-12-28, 11:00-12:00, McBurney Graaskamp Rm (tentative) *
  • Coordinating Group Meetings

* Tentative meeting on Dec 28, between the holidays.

Coordinating Group members:

MemberUnitMemberUnitMemberUnit
Sandi ArendalkowskiDoIT MarketingSteven BoldtDCSGary De CluteCIO Office
Brendon DybdahlHousingApril EbacherDoIT ADIRyan EngelLSS
Matt GoinsDoIT PTEAndy GoldsteinDoIT ATLaura GradyDoIT Marketing
Jamie GutkowskiDoIT ADIJohn HareDoIT EIS  
Jini JastiLaw SchoolHaley KerkhoffDCSAl NemecCALS
Jessie NemecLibraries

Casey Schacher

LibrariesTodd Schwanke, (co-chair)McBurney Center
James SkempBusinessGarrett SmithDoIT ATPhyllis TreigeDoIT Marketing
Nick WeaverUniv. MarketingPeter Weil (co-chair)Univ. Marketing  
Also attendingUnitAlso attendingUnitAlso attendingUnit
Phil JochimsenDoIT EISLee KonradLibraries  
vacant, (sponsor)CIO OfficeCathy Trueba, (sponsor)Office of Compliance  

Attachments:

None

Contact

  • No labels