Please report any problems to the Shared Tools Team at st-help@doit.wisc.edu    Broken Links? Missing Macros? WIKI Retiring Plugins
Child pages
  • ITAccessCG Meeting 2015-02-19
Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

Agenda & Notes - Accessibility/Usability of IT Coordinating Group (Coordinating Group)

Feb 19, 2015, 11:00-12:00, McBurney Center, Graaskamp Rm

  1. Agenda Review
     
    Notes from    previous meeting   – Please send comments, corrections to Gary
     

  2. Phase I Task Force (from members who are on both teams)

    Action:

  3. Accessibility staff proposal status (Carrie Nelson, Todd Schwanke)
      
    Action: 
    • Results from meeting with Sponsors:
      • Continue to pursue staff options.
      • The need for a campus-level ADA coordinator position is also being considered by other groups as well. Our proposal lends additional weight to that.
      • We should continue to research information that will support our sponsors in advancing the staffing proposal, especially for the two IT-specific positions.
      • We should look at ways to enhance decentrallized web accessibility organization and activity, for example, designated IT accessibility contacts/coordinators in each division.
      • Central staff support and decentrallized contacts/coordinators are complementary — neither replaces the need for the other – each enhances the effectiveness of the other.
    • Immediate action: subteam should meet in the next week or so to plan next steps. (Who will coordinate this?)
          
  4. Access Board rules and  the implications

    http://www.access-board.gov/guidelines-and-standards/communications-and-it/about-the-ict-refresh/news-release

      
    Action:
    • Could be a couple of years before the new rule is effective. Is (as anticipated) proposing WCAG 2.0 A and AA as the new 508 standard.
    • Gary will draft a modification to the web accessibility policy that recommends that UW-Madison work toward compliance with WCAG 2.0 A and AA. The policy (mandate) will remain Section 508 compliance as curently published by the federal government (which is a subset of WCAG 1.0.) The idea is to give the campus a single consistent direction to work toward, because eventually, Section 508 will specify WCAG 2.0 A and AA.
    • In the future, (2015/2016 academic year,) Gary will talk with the CIO office, Legal Services, others to explore the the long-term implications of the change, and to what extent our current Web Accessibility policy could or should be expanded to cover more areas of ICT accessibility.
        
  5. Captioning Contract (Sandi Arendalkowski, Todd Schwanke)
    • Planning Coordinating Group participation...collecting feedback and determining next steps, getting participation from around campus and possibly around UWS.
        
    Action:
    • Sandi is coordinating creation of two surveys:
      • First, a survey for current users of the captioning services. This has the most immediate value in helping us formulate requirements for an RFP.
      • Second, a survey of faculty and staff more generally (many of whom might not be using the current captioning services). This has longer-term value beyond an RFP.
      • The two could be combined, but that makes the display logic more complex. Perhaps better to keep them separate.
      • Need volunteers to review and edit the survey. Contact Sandi.
      • Need volunteers to process the results so they are useful in enhancing the requirements of the RFP. Contact Sandi.
    • Phyllis is coordinating who might be members of the RFP team. If interested, contact Phyllis.
      • A slightly larger team could help prepare the requirements, including incorporating information from the suvey. If interested, contact Phyllis.
    • Colleen and Kolleen are coordinating the RFP itself.
         
  6. Check in on other open action items:
       
    1. March workshop (Joyce Tikalsky, Casey Schacher, Gary De Clute, with Matt Goins consulting)
      •  Accessibility Essentials Brownbag

        March 12, 2015, NOON-1:00 PM -- 126 Memorial Library.

        Topics: Campus web and IT accessibility tools and techniques, by members of the UW-Madison IT and Web Accessibility Coordinating Group.

        1. Top 5 web accessibility checks -- accessible CMSs and templates, alternative text for images, tagged PDFs, captioned audio and video, headings. 15 minutes. Speaker: Joyce or Casey

        2. Example workflows for IT and web. 15 minutes. Speaker: Joyce or Casey

        3. New campus testing tool: SSB Bart Accessibility Management Platform. 15 minutes. Speaker: James Skemp

        4. Q&A. 15 minutes. 

        ??? Matt or Gary, lead the Q&A if we don't run out of time

        ??? Casey, any technology gotchas in 126
          
        Action: Looking good!  Details are gelling. Many thanks to subteam (especially Joyce) for pulling it together.
          

    2. Showcase: April 14, Union S. Deadline for proposals is March 27.
      • http://quality.wisc.edu/showcase.htm
      • Idea is to highlight the workflow of a unit that has been systematically improving their web accessibility
      • From Feb 05 meeting:
        • Joyce has suggested a possible poster session.
        • Need to discuss it at or next meeting.
        • The idea is a flowchart that demonstrates a way to share information about accessibility just in time at key points. It includes getting information about accessible PDFs to key people who upload them to websites.
        • For most websites, the key points happen before a website is constructed -- when a domain name is created or an account is created for building a website. For applications, accessibility can sometimes be injected into the expectations document or specifications.
            
        Action: Deferred.
          
    3. Teaching and Learning Symposium May 20-21, Union S,.
      • Proposed topic: Accessibile Course Materials: Content, Technology, and Process.
      • Matt Goins is serving as principal presenter and has submitted the proposal.
      • Casey will draw up a bibilography
      • Gary and DoIT Comm will help with the poster development.
      • Group will help staff the poster session

        From Jan 22 meeting:

        • Wait to see if we are accepted.

        • If so, start development of poster and materials.

        • Is this an opportunity to increase awareness of the need for high level accessibility leadership?
            

    4. Accessibility Guidelines development (Gary De Clute)
      • See  Dec 4 notes for more detail.
          
        Action:  Gary is working on it. Would be good to have some assistance. Not sure what form that assitance will take. Folks are busy.
          
    5. Process for (a) responding to complaints and (b) getting campus resources to units if necessary in order to respond effectively. (Gary De Clute)
      • See Dec 4, Jan 8 and Jan 22 notes for more detail.
      • Review updated draft (hardcopy) for revision before it goes to sponsors
          
        Action: Todd as re-written and clarified portions of the original document to make it a better presentation for our sponsors. He will distribute it to the team for comments.
          
    6. Follow up to AHG conference: how to utilize the recorded sessions. (Todd Schwanke)
      No fixed deadline on this.
      Action: Deferred.
       
    7. December report to sponsors (Joyce Tikalsky, Todd Schwanke)
        
  7. Liaison highlights (Joyce or Todd lead)
    • See "Liaisons" list below.

  8. Media Captioning visibility right now
    1. Articulate Storyline use and adding CC
    2. NAD Sues Harvard and MIT for Discrimination in Public Online Content

      1. http://nad.org/news/2015/2/nad-sues-harvard-and-mit-discrimination-public-online-content
  9. Upcoming agenda items
    • See "On Deck Items", "Future Agenda Items" below.
    • Action:

Liaisons

On-deck Items

  • Purchasing - Accessibility requirements for purchased software
  • See "Check in on open action items" for more on deck items.

Future agenda items:

  • Get more info on new Executive Committee meeting (invite Chris Holsman to a meeting?) (12/4 note: Check with Phyllis on this item.)
  • How to communicate our progress to faculty.
    • One way might be to work through the Equity and Diversity Committees that are advisory to deans and are composed of faculty and staff.
    • Accessibility and diversity are related, followup (suggested at May 1, 2014 meeting). Note: we made brief contact with Hazel Symonette at the T&LS on May 19.
  • Accessibility of email. (Campus Communicators have discussed this, see 10/30 notes.)
  • Go over the implications of the new Wisconsin law on accessibile educational materials in higher education (suggested at April 17, 2014 meeting)
  • Brainstorm how to build awareness of instructional content accessibility (suggested at May 29 meeting)
  • Brainstorm "Resources to help developers and content providers to incorporate accessibility into their existing processes" (suggested at March 6, 2014 meeting) 

Future dates:

  • Report to the sponsors – December 31, 2014.
  • Community of Educational Technology Support (ComETS) annual meeting – January 16, 2015, see: https://comets.wisc.edu/
  • Possible workshop sponsored by the Coordinating Group – March, 2015
  • Due date for Showcase proposals – March 27, 2015
  • Report to the sponsors – March 31, 2015.
  • Showcase 2015 – April 14, 2015, Union South – We have an idea already: Embedded Accessibility
  • Teaching and Learning Symposium – May 20-21, 2015. We have an idea already: Accessibile Course Materials: Content, Technology, and Process.
  • Report to the sponsors – June 30, 2015. Continue from here every Sep 30, Dec 31, March 31, and June 30....
  • Possible brownbag sponsored by the Coordinating Group? – October, 2015? 
  • Report to the sponsors – September 30, 2015.
  • National Disability Employment Awareness Month – October, 2015, see http://www.dol.gov/odep/topics/ndeam/  
  • Accessing Higher Ground conference – Nov 2015 (will be the week before Thanksgiving), see: http://accessinghigherground.org/  

Furture meetings:

  • Coordinating Group Meeting 2017-09-11, 11:00-12:00, McBurney Graaskamp Rm
  • Coordinating Group Meeting 2017-09-28, 11:00-12:00, McBurney Graaskamp Rm
  • Coordinating Group Meeting 2017-10-12, 11:00-12:00, McBurney Graaskamp Rm
  • Coordinating Group Meeting 2017-10-26, 11:00-12:00, McBurney Graaskamp Rm
  • Coordinating Group Meeting 2017-11-09, 11:00-12:00, McBurney Graaskamp Rm
  • Coordinating Group Meeting 2017-11-23, 11:00-12:00, McBurney Graaskamp Rm
  • Coordinating Group Meeting 2017-12-14, 11:00-12:00, McBurney Graaskamp Rm
  • Coordinating Group Meeting 2017-12-28, 11:00-12:00, McBurney Graaskamp Rm (tentative) *
  • Coordinating Group Meetings

* Tentative meeting on Dec 28, between the holidays.

Coordinating Group members:

MemberUnitMemberUnitMemberUnit
Sandi ArendalkowskiDoIT MarketingSteven BoldtDCSGary De CluteCIO Office
Brendon DybdahlHousingApril EbacherDoIT ADIRyan EngelLSS
Matt GoinsDoIT PTEAndy GoldsteinDoIT ATLaura GradyDoIT Marketing
Jamie GutkowskiDoIT ADIJohn HareDoIT EIS  
Jini JastiLaw SchoolHaley KerkhoffDCSAl NemecCALS
Jessie NemecLibraries

Casey Schacher

LibrariesTodd Schwanke, (co-chair)McBurney Center
James SkempBusinessGarrett SmithDoIT ATPhyllis TreigeDoIT Marketing
Nick WeaverUniv. MarketingPeter Weil (co-chair)Univ. Marketing  
Also attendingUnitAlso attendingUnitAlso attendingUnit
Phil JochimsenDoIT EISLee KonradLibraries  
vacant, (sponsor)CIO OfficeCathy Trueba, (sponsor)Office of Compliance  

Attachments:

None

Contact

  • No labels