Agenda & Notes - Accessibility/Usability of IT Coordinating Group (Coordinating Group)
May 14, 2015, 11:00-12:00, McBurney Center, Graaskamp Rm
Determine input and feedback that can be shared with the Phase I Task Force
Determine areas where the Coordinating Group could assist with the Phase I Task Force during this critical period
Manage transition from Phase I Task Force activity (ending in July) to ongoing Coordinating Group activity.
Phil will be drafting a terms of service documents for the Task Force to review. Coordinating Group also wants to review it.
Task force proposes that no matter where a user enters the documentation, blog entries, etc. we will funnel traffic to the DoIT accessibility page. It will serve as our landing page. It links to the other resources. That page may need some work to assure it is arranged appropriately for that.
- Teaching and Learning Symposium May 20-21, Union S. (Matt & ?)
Proposal for a poster was accepted
Plan: Reuse the current poster and add handout specific to the theme -- Active Learning
Handout: Draft document to handout (TBD)
Action: All ready. Matt and Gary will be there. That should cover it, but others are welcome to help out too!
- Determine training plan for SSB Bart offered training sessions (Matt)
- "Empty" version with no questions for clean recording
- Second session with tools team and others, hands-on session hosted at Computer Sciences? (15 workstations available in labs, potentially run two labs at once for maximum coverage)
- Need to check on exactly how many training sessions we have left. Could be two or three.
- Will use one of these to do a clean recording so we have that ready for the July rollout.
- The other one (or two) can accomodate up to 45 people each, who could ask questions, etc.
- Committee membership (Todd)
- Options for short, middle, and longer-term sustainability of the committee
- Concerns raised by tools team members about the duration of service
- Nature of a volunteer based group
- Campus need for a sustained and cohesive effort
- Unknown future of new positions
- Planning for furture activity
See also revised Phase I Project page: Accessible Development and Publishing Phase I Project
From Apr 30 notes:
- Coordinating Group decided to focus on process improvement to "get it right the first time".
- Start with Phase I. (See list in Apr 30 agenda for what that means.)
- Gary will revise the Phased implementation document and the Phase I project page.While Phase I is in progress, discuss how to move people to want to "get it right the first time". Some thoughts:
- Observation: People tend to be resistant because they believe they already know how.
- How do we get people to decide that they want to build accessibility into their process?
- Idea: People are motived for different reasons.
- Articulate a sizable list of reasons why one might want to do it.
- Suggest that if some of those reasons resonant with you, those are your reasons for building accessiblity into your process.
- Idea: Possible brown bag: bring in developers to talk about their process
- Idea: Voluntary certification progrem.
- Observation: How we talk about process change will be important:
- avoid criticizing existing process
- don't label people as non-tech or non-developer
- Online course accessibility policies (Todd)
- Receiving regular questions about what the policy is related to online courses and interpretations of the web policy
- Dealing more directly with what should be done proactively vs. as an accommodation, and with what is practical or not.
- Enhanced voiceover PowerPoints (Todd)
- What tools are in this space? - Articulate Storyline, Adobe Captivate, Adobe Presenter, others
- How can a tool be identified that meets the needs/preferences of designers, instructors, students (including those with disabilities)
- Determine what can be done to move ahead in this critical area
- Check in on other open action items:
Captioning Contract (Sandi Arendalkowski, Todd Schwanke)
What are next steps?
What can the committee contribute?
Action: Haley is willing to help with the RFP. Need one more person.
- Accessibility policy revisions (Gary).
See: Draft revision
- Guidelines documents
- Liaison highlights (Joyce or Todd lead)
See "Liaisons" list below.
- Upcoming agenda items
See "On Deck Items", "Future Agenda Items" below.
Action: For next agenda, add naming of the service, other names....
- Committee on Institutional Cooperation (CIC), IT Accessibility Group -- Carrie Nelson, http://www.cic.net/projects/technology/purchasing/introduction
- eText -- Carrie, http://www.cio.wisc.edu/etext-pilot.aspx
- Online Course Production and Delivery Committee -- Steve Boldt, http://continuingstudies.wisc.edu/innovation/index.html
- Unizin Consortium -- Carrie Nelson, http://unizin.org/
Committee on Access and Accommodation in Instruction (CAAI) – Cathy Trueba, http://www.secfac.wisc.edu/senate/2013/1104/2450.pdf
- Campus Accessibility and Usability Committee (CAUC) - Phyllis Treige, http://www.cauc.wisc.edu/
- Madison Technical Advisory Group (MTAG) – liaison varies with MTAG attendance, http://www.cio.wisc.edu/mtag.aspx
- DoIT Web and Mobile Solutions Group (developers) – Mark Field of designee, https://www.doit.wisc.edu/about/organization/application-development-integration/
- ComETS – Carrie Nelson, https://comets.wisc.edu/
- MTAG – Group members who attend MTAG meetings
- Process for (a) responding to complaints and (b) getting campus resources to units if necessary in order to respond effectively.
See Dec 4, Jan 8 and Jan 22 notes for more detail.
- Purchasing - Accessibility requirements for purchased software
- See "Check in on open action items" for more on deck items.
Future agenda items:
- Get more info on new Executive Committee meeting (invite Chris Holsman to a meeting?) (12/4 note: Check with Phyllis on this item.)
- How to communicate our progress to faculty.
- One way might be to work through the Equity and Diversity Committees that are advisory to deans and are composed of faculty and staff.
- Accessibility and diversity are related, followup (suggested at May 1, 2014 meeting). Note: we made brief contact with Hazel Symonette at the T&LS on May 19.
- Accessibility of email. (Campus Communicators have discussed this, see 10/30 notes.)
- Go over the implications of the new Wisconsin law on accessibile educational materials in higher education (suggested at April 17, 2014 meeting)
- Brainstorm how to build awareness of instructional content accessibility (suggested at May 29 meeting)
- Brainstorm "Resources to help developers and content providers to incorporate accessibility into their existing processes" (suggested at March 6, 2014 meeting)
- Teaching and Learning Symposium – May 20-21, 2015. Active Learning, poster session
- Report to the sponsors – June 30, 2015.
- Report to the sponsors – September 30, 2015.
- National Disability Employment Awareness Month – October, 2015, see http://www.dol.gov/odep/topics/ndeam/
- Possible IT Policy Forum participation – October or November 2015.
- Accessing Higher Ground conference – Nov 2015 (will be the week before Thanksgiving), see: http://accessinghigherground.org/
- Report to the sponsors – December 31, 2015.
- Community of Educational Technology Support (ComETS) annual meeting – January 2016, see: https://comets.wisc.edu/
- Workshop sponsored by the Coordinating Group – Tentatively: March 3, 2016
- Report to the sponsors – March 31, 2016.
- Showcase – April 2016
- Coordinating Group Meeting 2017-09-11, 11:00-12:00, McBurney Graaskamp Rm
- Coordinating Group Meeting 2017-09-28, 11:00-12:00, McBurney Graaskamp Rm
- Coordinating Group Meeting 2017-10-12, 11:00-12:00, McBurney Graaskamp Rm
- Coordinating Group Meeting 2017-10-26, 11:00-12:00, McBurney Graaskamp Rm
- Coordinating Group Meeting 2017-11-09, 11:00-12:00, McBurney Graaskamp Rm
- Coordinating Group Meeting 2017-11-23, 11:00-12:00, McBurney Graaskamp Rm
- Coordinating Group Meeting 2017-12-14, 11:00-12:00, McBurney Graaskamp Rm
- Coordinating Group Meeting 2017-12-28, 11:00-12:00, McBurney Graaskamp Rm (tentative) *
- Coordinating Group Meetings
* Tentative meeting on Dec 28, between the holidays.
Coordinating Group members:
|Sandi Arendalkowski||DoIT Marketing||Steven Boldt||DCS||Gary De Clute||CIO Office|
|Brendon Dybdahl||Housing||April Ebacher||DoIT ADI||Ryan Engel||LSS|
|Matt Goins||DoIT PTE||Andy Goldstein||DoIT AT||Laura Grady||DoIT Marketing|
|Jamie Gutkowski||DoIT ADI||John Hare||DoIT EIS|
|Jini Jasti||Law School||Haley Kerkhoff||DCS||Al Nemec||CALS|
|Libraries||Todd Schwanke, (co-chair)||McBurney Center|
|James Skemp||Business||Garrett Smith||DoIT AT||Phyllis Treige||DoIT Marketing|
|Nick Weaver||Univ. Marketing||Peter Weil (co-chair)||Univ. Marketing|
|Also attending||Unit||Also attending||Unit||Also attending||Unit|
|Phil Jochimsen||DoIT EIS||Lee Konrad||Libraries|
|vacant, (sponsor)||CIO Office||Cathy Trueba, (sponsor)||Office of Compliance|