Please report any problems to the Shared Tools Team at st-help@doit.wisc.edu    Broken Links? Missing Macros? WIKI Retiring Plugins
Child pages
  • ITAccessCG Meeting 2015-06-11
Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

Agenda & Notes - Accessibility/Usability of IT Coordinating Group (Coordinating Group)

June 11, 2015, 11:00-12:00, McBurney Center, Graaskamp Rm

  1. Agenda Review

    Notes from previous meeting. Please send comments, corrections to Gary
     

  2. Phase I Task Force update (from members who are on both teams)
    See notes from the May 28 and June 11 meetings.   

    Action:

    • June 25 will be the Phase I Task Force's last regular meeting.
    • Gary will schedule a celebration in mid to late July. Coordinating Group will be invited.
    • Need to find ways to recognize the great work that the Phase I task force had done.
      • Maybe a thank you message from our sponsors?
      • Maybe a certificate of appreciation?
      • Gary will investigate both options.
    • Add Haley to list of recipients for accessibility@cio.wisc.edu.  We will be (and are) publishing that address as a general contact point. (Note: this does not replace the need for a contact point for accessibility on each UW-Madison web site.)
        

  3. IT Policy Forum
    • Yesterdary, discussed IT Policy forum with the Policy Planning Team.
    • We will be dedicating the August 5th forum to Web Accessibility. Time 1:00-2:30, location TBD.
    • Plan for a large attendance. Invite
    • Have penciled in Al Nemec for a 10 minute demo of AMP
    • Rest of the forum needs to be planned

    Action:
    • Discuss Forum at first CG meeting in July.
      • Coordinating Group can focus of the content of the presentations and discussion. Mechanics of organizing and running a forum are well established (we've done 30 forums since 2007.)
      • Review draft of invitation.
        • Will go out in mid July.
        • Send to web developers, TP's, MTAG, IMLG, ComETS, DoIT managers, ITC.
        • Gary will bring a draft.
      • Review draft agenda.
        • Important to emphasize that campus needs to aim for compliance with WCAG 2.0 to avoid re-work of sites.
        • Need good discussion questions. At least two different groups
          • One to discuss policy issues (policy planning team can help with this)
          • One to discuss implementation (suitable for web developers who are attending)
        • Gary will bring a draft.
      • Gary will invite all of coordinating team and Phase I task force to attend.

  4. Organization of the DoIT accessibility page.
    Handout: Printout of top page. http://www.doit.wisc.edu/accessibility/
    • Needs some organization to serve as a landing page.
    • Who will coordinate?
        
    Action:
    • The pages are the responsibility of DoIT communications
    • Coordinating Group can recommend/suggest what needs to be fixed
    • Peter, who is a web professional, will take a look at the pages and make some suggestions for us to review at our next meeting
      • Focus on what needs to change right away, to accompany rollout of AMP in July
      • Longer-term we can suggest more.
          
  5. Digital Accessibility Maturity model.
    See: https://helpdesk.ssbbartgroup.com/hc/en-us/categories/200358979-Digital-Accessibility-Maturity-Model-DAMM-
    Handout: https://helpdesk.ssbbartgroup.com/hc/en-us/articles/204096319-Digital-Accesssibility-Maturity-Model-Introduction-Long-
      
    Action: Deferred
      
  6. Planning for furture activity
    See also revised Phase I Project page: Accessible Development and Publishing Phase I Project

    From Apr 30 notes:
    • Coordinating Group decided to focus on process improvement to "get it right the first time".
    • Start with Phase I. (See list in Apr 30 agenda for what that means.)
      • While Phase I is in progress, discuss how to move people to want to "get it right the first time".  Some thoughts:
      • Observation: People tend to be resistant because they believe they already know how.
      • How do we get people to decide that they want to build accessibility into their process?
      • Idea: People are motived for different reasons.
        • Articulate a sizable list of reasons why one might want to do it.
        • Suggest that if some of those reasons resonant with you, those are your reasons for building accessiblity into your process.
      • Idea: Possible brown bag: bring in developers  to talk about their process
      • Idea: Voluntary certification progrem.
      • Observation: How we talk about process change will be important:
        • avoid criticizing existing process
        • don't label people as non-tech or non-developer

    Action:

    • Deferred

  7. Check in on other open action items:

    1. Commitee membership (Todd)
      • Options for short, middle, and longer-term sustainability of the committee
        • IDEA: Consider sending a message via MTAG, inviting units to appoint someone to the Coordinating Group.
      • Concerns raised by tools team members about the duration of service
      • Nature of a volunteer based group
      • Campus need for a sustained and cohesive effort
      • Unknown future of new positions
            
    2. Captioning Contract (Sandi Arendalkowski, Todd Schwanke)

      • What are next steps?

      • What can the committee contribute?

    3. Guidelines documents (Gary)
      Documents are in the KB and are formtted. Some edits remain 2do.
        
    4. Accessibility policy revisions (Gary).
      Cover letter to sponsors drafted.
        
    5. Online course accessibility policies (Todd)
      • Receiving regular questions about what the policy is related to online courses and interpretations of the web policy
      • Dealing more directly with what should be done proactively vs. as an accommodation, and with what is practical or not.
       
    6. Enhanced voiceover PowerPoints (Todd)
      • What tools are in this space?  - Articulate Storyline, Adobe Captivate, Adobe Presenter, others
      • How can a tool be identified that meets the needs/preferences of designers, instructors, students (including those with disabilities)
      • Determine what can be done to move ahead in this critical area
          
  8. Upcoming agenda items
    See "On Deck Items", "Future Agenda Items" below.

On-deck Items

  • Process for (a) responding to complaints and (b) getting campus resources to units if necessary in order to respond effectively.
        See Dec 4, Jan 8 and Jan 22 notes for more detail.

  • Purchasing - Accessibility requirements for purchased software

  • See "Check in on open action items" for more on deck items.

Future agenda items:

  • Get more info on new Executive Committee meeting (invite Chris Holsman to a meeting?) (12/4 note: Check with Phyllis on this item.)

  • How to communicate our progress to faculty.

    • One way might be to work through the Equity and Diversity Committees that are advisory to deans and are composed of faculty and staff.

    • Accessibility and diversity are related, followup (suggested at May 1, 2014 meeting). Note: we made brief contact with Hazel Symonette at the T&LS on May 19.

  • Accessibility of email. (Campus Communicators have discussed this, see 10/30 notes.)
  • Go over the implications of the new Wisconsin law on accessibile educational materials in higher education (suggested at April 17, 2014 meeting)
  • Brainstorm how to build awareness of instructional content accessibility (suggested at May 29 meeting)
  • Brainstorm "Resources to help developers and content providers to incorporate accessibility into their existing processes" (suggested at March 6, 2014 meeting)

Future dates:

  • Report to the sponsors – June 30, 2015.
  • Report to the sponsors – September 30, 2015.
  • National Disability Employment Awareness Month – October, 2015, see http://www.dol.gov/odep/topics/ndeam/ 
  • Possible IT Policy Forum participation – October or November 2015.
  • Accessing Higher Ground conference – Nov 2015 (will be the week before Thanksgiving), see: http://accessinghigherground.org/ 
  • Report to the sponsors – December 31, 2015. 
  • Community of Educational Technology Support (ComETS) annual meeting – January 2016, see: https://comets.wisc.edu/ 
  • Workshop sponsored by the Coordinating Group – Tentatively: March 3, 2016 
  • Report to the sponsors – March 31, 2016.
  • Showcase –  April 2016
  • Teaching and Learning Symposium – May 2016

Furture meetings:

  • Coordinating Group Meeting 2017-09-11, 11:00-12:00, McBurney Graaskamp Rm
  • Coordinating Group Meeting 2017-09-28, 11:00-12:00, McBurney Graaskamp Rm
  • Coordinating Group Meeting 2017-10-12, 11:00-12:00, McBurney Graaskamp Rm
  • Coordinating Group Meeting 2017-10-26, 11:00-12:00, McBurney Graaskamp Rm
  • Coordinating Group Meeting 2017-11-09, 11:00-12:00, McBurney Graaskamp Rm
  • Coordinating Group Meeting 2017-11-23, 11:00-12:00, McBurney Graaskamp Rm
  • Coordinating Group Meeting 2017-12-14, 11:00-12:00, McBurney Graaskamp Rm
  • Coordinating Group Meeting 2017-12-28, 11:00-12:00, McBurney Graaskamp Rm (tentative) *
  • Coordinating Group Meetings

* Tentative meeting on Dec 28, between the holidays.

Coordinating Group members:

MemberUnitMemberUnitMemberUnit
Sandi ArendalkowskiDoIT MarketingSteven BoldtDCSGary De CluteCIO Office
Brendon DybdahlHousingApril EbacherDoIT ADIRyan EngelLSS
Matt GoinsDoIT PTEAndy GoldsteinDoIT ATLaura GradyDoIT Marketing
Jamie GutkowskiDoIT ADIJohn HareDoIT EIS  
Jini JastiLaw SchoolHaley KerkhoffDCSAl NemecCALS
Jessie NemecLibraries

Casey Schacher

LibrariesTodd Schwanke, (co-chair)McBurney Center
James SkempBusinessGarrett SmithDoIT ATPhyllis TreigeDoIT Marketing
Nick WeaverUniv. MarketingPeter Weil (co-chair)Univ. Marketing  
Also attendingUnitAlso attendingUnitAlso attendingUnit
Phil JochimsenDoIT EISLee KonradLibraries  
vacant, (sponsor)CIO OfficeCathy Trueba, (sponsor)Office of Compliance  

Liaisons

Attachments:

None

Contact

  • No labels