Please report any problems to the Shared Tools Team at st-help@doit.wisc.edu    Broken Links? Missing Macros? WIKI Retiring Plugins
Child pages
  • ITAccessCG Meeting 2015-09-17
Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

Agenda & Notes - Accessibility/Usability of IT Coordinating Group (Coordinating Group)

Sep 17, 2015, 11:00-12:00, McBurney Center, Graaskamp Rm

  1. Agenda Review
      

  2. Notes from the  previous meeting. Please send comments or changes to Gary.
     

  3. Immediate items to address:  
    1. AMP Drop-In Sessions (10-20 minutes)
      • Objective: Determine plan and team for the fall
      • Background information:
        • Phil currently has CS 3139A scheduled every other week starting Sept 9th 2:30-3:30p.  Needs to be more than Phil and James.
      • Discussion/decisions: 
        • Is this valuable?  Is this something that we should prioritize?
          • Yes
        • Schedule? Keep every other week for 1 hour?
          • Yes
        • Purpose/objective of the sessions?
          • Is this an opportunity to provide some limited consulting opportunities and a way to encourage people to get familiar with the tool?
          • If we notice trends, can make those into special topic sessions
        • What is the marketing plan?
        • Who/how will we staff them?
          • Phyllis, Sandi, Keir, Todd, Al, Jessie, etc. rotate
        • Who will run with the plan (outside of this meeting) and report back?
        • How will observations from the sessions be captured?
      • Next Steps (from Aug 6):
        • Meet with Laura (Phil)
          • Title - Drop-in web accessibility testing sessions
          • Quick summary that indicates: hands-on, become familiar with AMP environment and other testing tools, learn about the output, ongoing testing, accessibility questions that you may have, see what issues others are encountering and how they are addressing them
          • Lists to send
            • ? Will send notice to TP-Primes, ask them to pass it on to appropriate staff.
            • Phil has sign-up sheet from AMP training
            • Web developers list
            • Access list
            • Targeted invites (e.g. WiscWeb CMS)
          • Recommend watching video in advance
        • ? Small group meets?

    2. AMP Contract (Phil)
      1. Can test 3rd party sites, including ones we are looking at contracting with
      2. Can give access to 3rd party for sites they are building for us, but they can only use it on projects for us
        1. Manual process if we need them to be able to run tests (since they won't have NetID)
      3. 3rd parties wouldn't be covered for support/training
      4. Phil will write up in the KB

    3. AMP training recordings – date/time & invites (Matt)
      • Objective: Create a AMP recording that can then be shared/reused as a training tool
      • Background information:
      • Discussion:
        • How did it turn out?  Who should review it?
        • What are next steps?
        • Where will we post it?
        • Getting it captioned?
        • How are we going to use this?
      • Next Steps:
        • Need to get it captioned (Todd/Phyllis to discuss)
        • Matt to get clarification about who can access it and where it can be posted)
        • Phil/Phyllis to determine a Kaltura account where this can be posted (and potentially limited to NetID)
        • Phil to work on putting a link on the dashboard


    4. Getting it Right, From the Beginning - Documenting processes and best practices during Phase I (all) (40-45 minutes)
      1. Handouts: Web Accessibility Workflow - Drafts, Web Accessibility Workflow - AssumptionsAccessible Development and Publishing Phase I Project.
      • Objective: Draft some workflows for different types of sites and development processes
      • Background information:
      • Discussion:
        • Determine interest/groups and then break into small groups based on scenario/workflow (20-30 minutes)
        • Discuss, develop, and write down (in the Google Doc) the specifics of that particular workflow(s) as relates to accessibility.  An outline is provided
        • Convene for the last 5-10 minutes to discuss what we came up with and to determine next steps
      • Next Steps (From Aug 6):
        • Gary will write up his document in cleaner form when back in Sept
    1. Wrap-up
      1. What topics should we cover at next meeting?
         
    2. IT Policy Forum on Accessibility 8/5/2015 debrief
      • Objective: Incorporate discussion results into our work
      • Background information:
        • Handouts: Policy discussion results, Process discussion results
        • Is related to "Getting it right, from the beginning" agenda item (see above)
        • Is related to "Online course accessibility policies" agenda item (see below)
        • Is related to "Accessibility policy draft & edits" agenda item (see below)
      • Discussion:
      • Next Steps:
        • Defer until Oct.
    3. Accessibility content & new it.wisc.edu site (Todd & Phyllis)
      • Objective:
      • Background information:
      • Discussion: Deferred.
      • Next Steps:
    4. Accessibility complaint procedure (Todd & Gary)
      • Objective:
      • Background information:
      • Discussion:
      • Next Steps:
        • Defer until Oct
  4. Check in on other open action items:
      
    1. Commitee membership (Todd)
      • Objective: Options for short, middle, and longer-term sustainability of the committee
      • Background information:
      • Discussion:
        • Consider sending a message via MTAG, inviting units to appoint someone to the Coordinating Group.
        • Nature of a volunteer based group
        • Campus need for a sustained and cohesive effort
        • Unknown future of new positions
      • Next steps:
          
    2. Captioning Contract (Sandi Arendalkowski, Todd Schwanke)

      • Objective:
      • Background information:
      • Discussion:
      • Next Steps:
        • What are next steps?

        • What can the committee contribute?
            

    3. Online course accessibility policies (Todd)
      • Objective:
      • Background information:
        • Receiving regular questions about what the policy is related to online courses and interpretations of the web policy
        • Dealing more directly with what should be done proactively vs. as an accommodation, and with what is practical or not.
        • August IT Policy discussion notes address this. See policy forum agenda item above.
      • Discussion:
      • Next Steps:
        • Defer until Oct.
            
    4. Accessibility policy draft & edits (Todd & Gary)
      • Objective:
      • Background information:
      • Discussion:
      • Next steps: 
        • Defer until Oct
           
    5. Enhanced voiceover PowerPoints (Todd)
      • Objective:
      • Background information:
      • Discussion:
        • What tools are in this space?  - Articulate Storyline, Adobe Captivate, Adobe Presenter, others
        • How can a tool be identified that meets the needs/preferences of designers, instructors, students (including those with disabilities)
        • Determine what can be done to move ahead in this critical area
      • Next Steps: 
          
    6. Browser support trends, accessibility, and policy context (Todd)
      • Objective:
      • Background information:
      • Discussion: Deferred.
      • Next Steps:
          
    7. Unizin & Courseload accessibility follow-up

      • Objective:
      • Background Information:
      • Discussion:
      • Next Steps (from Aug 6):
        • Possible sub-committee to assist Bruce in assuring Unizin and related systems are accessibile.
        • Discuss in future.
           
    8. AMP for Mobile webinar 7/23/2015
      • Objective: Share basic info about AMP for Mobile with group
      • Background information:
        • AMP for Mobile does not appear in the Toolbox within AMP for the UW instance
        • AMP for Mobile works with code inserted into the app’s code so that it can evaluate the app and report back to the AMP web interface.  This code needs to be removed before distribution.
        • It integrates screenshots into the reports and also leverages manual checks.
        • There is a W3C group working on accessibility related to touch
        • Phyllis/Colleen are following up on whether AMP for Mobile is included in our contract
        • Recording link: (TBD)
      • Discussion:
      • Next Steps (from Aug 6):
        • Phil is checking on license status and cost.
          • Does not appear to be in our license at this time.
          • Don't yet know if they will add it.
          • Don't yet know if we want to buy it.
          • Keep in mind for future action.
              
  5. Upcoming agenda items
    • See "On Deck Items", "Future Agenda Items" below.

On-deck Items

  • SALT/AMP service agreement draft review (Phil)
  • Process for (a) responding to complaints and (b) getting campus resources to units if necessary in order to respond effectively.
  •     See Dec 4, Jan 8 and Jan 22 notes for more detail.
  • Purchasing - Accessibility requirements for purchased software 
  • See "Check in on open action items" for more on deck items.

 

Future agenda items:

  • Get more info on new Executive Committee meeting (invite Chris Holsman to a meeting?) (12/4 note: Check with Phyllis on this item.)
  • How to communicate our progress to faculty.
    • One way might be to work through the Equity and Diversity Committees that are advisory to deans and are composed of faculty and staff.

    • Accessibility and diversity are related, followup (suggested at May 1, 2014 meeting). Note: we made brief contact with Hazel Symonette at the T&LS on May 19.

  • Accessibility of email. (Campus Communicators have discussed this, see 10/30 notes.)
  • Go over the implications of the new Wisconsin law on accessibile educational materials in higher education (suggested at April 17, 2014 meeting)
  • Brainstorm how to build awareness of instructional content accessibility (suggested at May 29 meeting)
  • Brainstorm "Resources to help developers and content providers to incorporate accessibility into their existing processes" (suggested at March 6, 2014 meeting) 

Future dates:

  • Report to the sponsors – June 30, 2015.
  • Report to the sponsors – September 30, 2015.
  • National Disability Employment Awareness Month – October, 2015, see http://www.dol.gov/odep/topics/ndeam/   
  • Possible IT Policy Forum participation – October or November 2015.
  • Accessing Higher Ground conference – Nov 2015 (will be the week before Thanksgiving), see: http://accessinghigherground.org/  
  • Report to the sponsors – December 31, 2015. 
  • Community of Educational Technology Support (ComETS) annual meeting – January 2016, see: https://comets.wisc.edu/  
  • Workshop sponsored by the Coordinating Group – Tentatively: March 3, 2016 
  • Report to the sponsors – March 31, 2016. 
  • Showcase –  April 2016
  • Teaching and Learning Symposium – May 2016 

Furture meetings:

  • Coordinating Group Meeting 2017-09-11, 11:00-12:00, McBurney Graaskamp Rm
  • Coordinating Group Meeting 2017-09-28, 11:00-12:00, McBurney Graaskamp Rm
  • Coordinating Group Meeting 2017-10-12, 11:00-12:00, McBurney Graaskamp Rm
  • Coordinating Group Meeting 2017-10-26, 11:00-12:00, McBurney Graaskamp Rm
  • Coordinating Group Meeting 2017-11-09, 11:00-12:00, McBurney Graaskamp Rm
  • Coordinating Group Meeting 2017-11-23, 11:00-12:00, McBurney Graaskamp Rm
  • Coordinating Group Meeting 2017-12-14, 11:00-12:00, McBurney Graaskamp Rm
  • Coordinating Group Meeting 2017-12-28, 11:00-12:00, McBurney Graaskamp Rm (tentative) *
  • Coordinating Group Meetings

* Tentative meeting on Dec 28, between the holidays.

Coordinating Group members:

MemberUnitMemberUnitMemberUnit
Sandi ArendalkowskiDoIT MarketingSteven BoldtDCSGary De CluteCIO Office
Brendon DybdahlHousingApril EbacherDoIT ADIRyan EngelLSS
Matt GoinsDoIT PTEAndy GoldsteinDoIT ATLaura GradyDoIT Marketing
Jamie GutkowskiDoIT ADIJohn HareDoIT EIS  
Jini JastiLaw SchoolHaley KerkhoffDCSAl NemecCALS
Jessie NemecLibraries

Casey Schacher

LibrariesTodd Schwanke, (co-chair)McBurney Center
James SkempBusinessGarrett SmithDoIT ATPhyllis TreigeDoIT Marketing
Nick WeaverUniv. MarketingPeter Weil (co-chair)Univ. Marketing  
Also attendingUnitAlso attendingUnitAlso attendingUnit
Phil JochimsenDoIT EISLee KonradLibraries  
vacant, (sponsor)CIO OfficeCathy Trueba, (sponsor)Office of Compliance  

Liaisons

Attachments:

None

Contact

Thank you for registering to attend the webinar. You should receive a confirmation email with login details shortly. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please contact kim.phillips@ssbbartgroup.com.

For more information on AMP for Mobile, please contact cindy.quach@ssbbartgroup.com.

https://player.vimeo.com/external/139374004.hd.mp4?s=d794ad0f980872108bbcc0ecaf5bd09f&profile_id=119

  • No labels