Please report any problems to the Shared Tools Team at st-help@doit.wisc.edu    Broken Links? Missing Macros? WIKI Retiring Plugins
Child pages
  • ITAccessCG Meeting 2015-10-01
Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

Agenda & Notes - Accessibility/Usability of IT Coordinating Group (Coordinating Group)

Oct 1, 2015, 11:00-12:00, McBurney Center, Graaskamp Rm

  1. Agenda Review
      

  2. Notes from the  previous meeting. Please send comments or changes to Gary.
     

  3. Immediate items to address:  
    1. AMP Drop-In Sessions followup
      • Status? Going well. Plenty of volunteers to lead.
      • Action: Please volunteer to fill in the remaining slots.
          
    2. AMP Contract followup
      • Status? OK
      • Action: None.

    3. AMP training recordings followup
      • Status?
      • Action:
        • Will be placed in a NetID protected area.
        • Cleanup on permissions, problems with Google Apps
        • Some question about which email address to share with.
        • ITAccess role-based account is available. Can be mapped to your NetID.

    4. Getting it Right, From the Beginning - Documenting processes and best practices during Phase I (all) (40-45 minutes)
      • Objective: Draft some workflows for different types of sites and development processes
      • Background information:
      • Discussion: 
        • Discussed the list of cases. Are there any missing? Duplicates? Idea is to cover case that occur on campus. Don't have to cover every possible case.
        • Discussing and documenting the different cases is what Phase I is about.
        • If the documented process is new or an improvement to existing processes, it needs to be tested in actual use.
        • Deliverable for Phase I is a group of documented and tested processes.
      • Next Steps:
        • Will break into small groups at Oct 22 meeting to discuss selected cases.
  4. Check in on other open action items:

    1. IT Policy Forum on Accessibility 8/5/2015 debrief
      • Objective: Incorporate discussion results into our work
      • Background information:
        • Handouts: Policy discussion results, Process discussion results
        • Is related to "Getting it right, from the beginning" agenda item (see above)
        • Is related to "Online course accessibility policies" agenda item (see below)
        • Is related to "Accessibility policy draft & edits" agenda item (see below)
      • Discussion:
      • Next Steps:
    2. Accessibility content & new it.wisc.edu site (Todd & Phyllis)
      • Objective:
      • Background information:
      • Discussion: Deferred.
      • Next Steps:
    3. Accessibility complaint procedure (Todd & Gary)
      • Objective:
      • Background information:
      • Discussion:
      • Next Steps:
    4. Commitee membership (Todd)
      • Objective: Options for short, middle, and longer-term sustainability of the committee
      • Background information:
      • Discussion:
        • Consider sending a message via MTAG, inviting units to appoint someone to the Coordinating Group.
        • Nature of a volunteer based group
        • Campus need for a sustained and cohesive effort
        • Unknown future of new positions
      • Next steps:
    5. Captioning Contract (Sandi Arendalkowski, Todd Schwanke)

      • Objective:
      • Background information:
      • Discussion:
      • Next Steps:
        • What are next steps?

        • What can the committee contribute?

    6. Online course accessibility policies (Todd)
      • Objective:
      • Background information:
        • Receiving regular questions about what the policy is related to online courses and interpretations of the web policy
        • Dealing more directly with what should be done proactively vs. as an accommodation, and with what is practical or not.
        • August IT Policy discussion notes address this. See policy forum agenda item above.
      • Discussion:
      • Next Steps:
    7. Accessibility policy draft & edits (Todd & Gary)
      • Objective:
      • Background information:
      • Discussion:
      • Next steps: 
    8. Enhanced voiceover PowerPoints (Todd)
      • Objective:
      • Background information:
      • Discussion:
        • What tools are in this space?  - Articulate Storyline, Adobe Captivate, Adobe Presenter, others
        • How can a tool be identified that meets the needs/preferences of designers, instructors, students (including those with disabilities)
        • Determine what can be done to move ahead in this critical area
      • Next Steps: 
    9. Browser support trends, accessibility, and policy context (Todd)
      • Objective:
      • Background information:
      • Discussion: Deferred.
      • Next Steps:
    10. Unizin & Courseload accessibility follow-up

      • Objective:
      • Background Information:
      • Discussion:
      • Next Steps (from Aug 6):
        • Possible sub-committee to assist Bruce in assuring Unizin and related systems are accessibile.
        • Discuss in future.
           
  5. Upcoming agenda items
    • See "On Deck Items", "Future Agenda Items" below.

On-deck Items

  • SALT/AMP service agreement draft review (Phil)
  • Process for (a) responding to complaints and (b) getting campus resources to units if necessary in order to respond effectively.
  •     See Dec 4, Jan 8 and Jan 22 notes for more detail.
  • Purchasing - Accessibility requirements for purchased software 
  • See "Check in on open action items" for more on deck items.

 

Future agenda items:

  • Get more info on new Executive Committee meeting (invite Chris Holsman to a meeting?) (12/4 note: Check with Phyllis on this item.)
  • How to communicate our progress to faculty.
    • One way might be to work through the Equity and Diversity Committees that are advisory to deans and are composed of faculty and staff.

    • Accessibility and diversity are related, followup (suggested at May 1, 2014 meeting). Note: we made brief contact with Hazel Symonette at the T&LS on May 19.

  • Accessibility of email. (Campus Communicators have discussed this, see 10/30 notes.)
  • Go over the implications of the new Wisconsin law on accessibile educational materials in higher education (suggested at April 17, 2014 meeting)
  • Brainstorm how to build awareness of instructional content accessibility (suggested at May 29 meeting)
  • Brainstorm "Resources to help developers and content providers to incorporate accessibility into their existing processes" (suggested at March 6, 2014 meeting) 

Future dates:

  • Report to the sponsors – June 30, 2015.
  • Report to the sponsors – September 30, 2015.
  • National Disability Employment Awareness Month – October, 2015, see http://www.dol.gov/odep/topics/ndeam/   
  • Possible IT Policy Forum participation – October or November 2015.
  • Accessing Higher Ground conference – Nov 2015 (will be the week before Thanksgiving), see: http://accessinghigherground.org/  
  • Report to the sponsors – December 31, 2015. 
  • Community of Educational Technology Support (ComETS) annual meeting – January 2016, see: https://comets.wisc.edu/  
  • Workshop sponsored by the Coordinating Group – Tentatively: March 3, 2016 
  • Report to the sponsors – March 31, 2016. 
  • Showcase –  April 2016
  • Teaching and Learning Symposium – May 2016 

Furture meetings:

  • Coordinating Group Meeting 2017-09-11, 11:00-12:00, McBurney Graaskamp Rm
  • Coordinating Group Meeting 2017-09-28, 11:00-12:00, McBurney Graaskamp Rm
  • Coordinating Group Meeting 2017-10-12, 11:00-12:00, McBurney Graaskamp Rm
  • Coordinating Group Meeting 2017-10-26, 11:00-12:00, McBurney Graaskamp Rm
  • Coordinating Group Meeting 2017-11-09, 11:00-12:00, McBurney Graaskamp Rm
  • Coordinating Group Meeting 2017-11-23, 11:00-12:00, McBurney Graaskamp Rm
  • Coordinating Group Meeting 2017-12-14, 11:00-12:00, McBurney Graaskamp Rm
  • Coordinating Group Meeting 2017-12-28, 11:00-12:00, McBurney Graaskamp Rm (tentative) *
  • Coordinating Group Meetings

* Tentative meeting on Dec 28, between the holidays.

Coordinating Group members:

MemberUnitMemberUnitMemberUnit
Sandi ArendalkowskiDoIT MarketingSteven BoldtDCSGary De CluteCIO Office
Brendon DybdahlHousingApril EbacherDoIT ADIRyan EngelLSS
Matt GoinsDoIT PTEAndy GoldsteinDoIT ATLaura GradyDoIT Marketing
Jamie GutkowskiDoIT ADIJohn HareDoIT EIS  
Jini JastiLaw SchoolHaley KerkhoffDCSAl NemecCALS
Jessie NemecLibraries

Casey Schacher

LibrariesTodd Schwanke, (co-chair)McBurney Center
James SkempBusinessGarrett SmithDoIT ATPhyllis TreigeDoIT Marketing
Nick WeaverUniv. MarketingPeter Weil (co-chair)Univ. Marketing  
Also attendingUnitAlso attendingUnitAlso attendingUnit
Phil JochimsenDoIT EISLee KonradLibraries  
vacant, (sponsor)CIO OfficeCathy Trueba, (sponsor)Office of Compliance  

Liaisons

Attachments:

None

Contact

Thank you for registering to attend the webinar. You should receive a confirmation email with login details shortly. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please contact kim.phillips@ssbbartgroup.com.

For more information on AMP for Mobile, please contact cindy.quach@ssbbartgroup.com.

https://player.vimeo.com/external/139374004.hd.mp4?s=d794ad0f980872108bbcc0ecaf5bd09f&profile_id=119

  • No labels