Please report any problems to the Shared Tools Team at st-help@doit.wisc.edu    Broken Links? Missing Macros? WIKI Retiring Plugins
Child pages
  • ITAccessCG Meeting 2016-01-28
Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

Agenda & Notes - Accessibility/Usability of IT Coordinating Group (Coordinating Group)

Jan 28, 2016, 11:00-12:00, McBurney Center, Graaskamp Rm 

  1. Agenda Review
     

  2. Notes from prior meeting. Please send comments/correction to Gary.
      

  3. Possibly change meeting schedule to 2nd and 4th Thursday, in order to avoid conflicts with meetings that are scheduled on 1st or 3rd Thursday?

  4. Brief updates from previous site launches
    1. DoIT and CIO sites being redirected to it.wisc.edu
      1. Phyllis and Todd working on edits related to the Accessibility pages
        1. Action: Todd to follow up with Phyllis on the new "Accessibility Assistance" link that does not have a destination page
        2. Action: Todd to check into why DoIT Accessibility page content wasn't transferred
    2. New mobile friendly wisc.edu homepage
      1. Peter has been working on updates to enhance accessibility
      2. Action: Carrie to look up recommended testing list that was developed by CIC for Unizin (may be in process)
  5. Misc
    1. Carrie to see who is going to be on the Risk Management interview committee

  6. AMP drop-in sessions decision (James)
    1. Keep same time
    2. Set up RSVP system (Qualitrics, Google forms)
    3. Rebrand to ???? (help session, getting started, hands-on, group, user
      1. Getting Started with Campus Accessibility Testing Tools
      2. Web Accessibility Help & Testing Tools Session
    4. Advertise on TPs, web list, etc.
      1. Market the video and then have sessions as was to ask further questions
    5. Other
      1. Make topic focused per session
      2. Or run a series of 3 repeating sessions
    6. Times
      1. Around lunch
      2. End of day
      3. Alternating times
    7. Action
      1. James write a summary and circulate to the volunteer group
      2. Gary to put on the agenda for next time, particularly around the marketing of this
  7. From Carrie: I hope some of you knew about this grant program and that I just missed our discussion about it:

    https://www.wisconsin.edu/systemwide-it/news/accessability-grant-2015-awards-announced/

    Bruce was particularly wondering about the UWM captioning workflow project, but I imagine we want to make sure we're getting what we can from all four projects. Do any of you have more information or know the Project Leads on any of these? Is this something we can coordinate over email? or if we haven't already talked about these at some point, maybe it's something to add to our next agenda?

    Action:...

      

  8. Misc resources

    1. University of Montana - List of software reviewed for accessibility


  9. Accessibility Accommodation Response Process
    See Dec 3 notes for a description of a change in approach, and ideas from the team on how to proceed.
    At Dec 17 meeting: Discuss escalation.

    Action:
    • Deferred. (Do not yet have draft documents to review.)

  10. Getting it Right, From the Beginning - Documenting processes and best practices during Phase I (all)
    • References: Web Accessibility Workflow - Drafts, Web Accessibility Workflow - AssumptionsAccessible Development and Publishing Phase I Project.
    • Objective: Discuss issues during the meeting. Between meetings keep working on the workflows, guided by the discussion.
    • Background information:
      (From OCT 01):
      • Discussed the list of cases. Are there any missing? Duplicates? Idea is to cover case that occur on campus. Don't have to cover every possible case.
      • Documenting the different cases is what Phase I is about.
      • If the documented process is new or is an improvement to an existing process, it needs to be tested in actual use.
      • Deliverable for Phase I is a group of documented and tested processes intended to help units improve their own process.
      (From Nov):
      • Please complete scenarios by the Thursday December 17th meeting
      • Need to develop ideas for presenting the recommended workflows in ways that make it easy to match scenarios and consume the information
    • Discussion:
      • Moving forward on those cases that are mostly finished?
      • Can do the rest in phases as time permits?
       
  11. AMP Feedback (Phil)
    1. Discussion: Preview from Phil of the need for a sub-group to provide feedback 
    2. Action (from Nov):
      1. Record issues and descriptions of design/feature issues with AMP outside of the meeting time so they can be summarized and presented to SSB Bart in early 2016
         
  12. Check in on other open action items (not necessarily in the order listed):
    1. Accessibility content & new it.wisc.edu site (Todd & Phyllis)
    2. Commitee membership (Todd)
      • Objective: Options for short, middle, and longer-term sustainability of the committee
      • Background information:
      • Discussion:
        • Consider sending a message via MTAG, inviting units to appoint someone to the Coordinating Group.
        • Nature of a volunteer based group
        • Campus need for a sustained and cohesive effort
        • Unknown future of new positions
      • Next steps:
    3. Check on on staffing proposal
        
  13. Upcoming agenda items
    • See "On Deck Items", "Future Agenda Items" below.

Future agenda items:

  • Get more info on new Executive Committee meeting (invite Chris Holsman to a meeting?) (12/4 note: Check with Phyllis on this item.)
  • How to communicate our progress to faculty.
    • One way might be to work through the Equity and Diversity Committees that are advisory to deans and are composed of faculty and staff.

    • Accessibility and diversity are related, followup (suggested at May 1, 2014 meeting). Note: we made brief contact with Hazel Symonette at the T&LS on May 19.

  • Accessibility of email. (Campus Communicators have discussed this, see 10/30 notes.)
  • Go over the implications of the new Wisconsin law on accessibile educational materials in higher education (suggested at April 17, 2014 meeting)
  • Brainstorm how to build awareness of instructional content accessibility (suggested at May 29 meeting)
  • Brainstorm "Resources to help developers and content providers to incorporate accessibility into their existing processes" (suggested at March 6, 2014 meeting) 

Future dates:

  • Accessing Higher Ground conference – Nov 2015 (will be the week before Thanksgiving), see: http://accessinghigherground.org/  
  • Report to the sponsors – December 31, 2015. 
  • Community of Educational Technology Support (ComETS) annual meeting – January 2016, see: https://comets.wisc.edu/  
  • Workshop sponsored by the Coordinating Group – Tentatively: March 3, 2016 
  • Report to the sponsors – March 31, 2016. 
  • Showcase –  April 2016
  • Teaching and Learning Symposium – May 2016
  • Report to the sponsors – June 30, 2016.
  • National Disability Employment Awareness Month – October, 2016, see http://www.dol.gov/odep/topics/ndeam/    
  • Report to the sponsors – September 30, 2016.

Furture meetings:

  • Coordinating Group Meeting 2017-09-11, 11:00-12:00, McBurney Graaskamp Rm
  • Coordinating Group Meeting 2017-09-28, 11:00-12:00, McBurney Graaskamp Rm
  • Coordinating Group Meeting 2017-10-12, 11:00-12:00, McBurney Graaskamp Rm
  • Coordinating Group Meeting 2017-10-26, 11:00-12:00, McBurney Graaskamp Rm
  • Coordinating Group Meeting 2017-11-09, 11:00-12:00, McBurney Graaskamp Rm
  • Coordinating Group Meeting 2017-11-23, 11:00-12:00, McBurney Graaskamp Rm
  • Coordinating Group Meeting 2017-12-14, 11:00-12:00, McBurney Graaskamp Rm
  • Coordinating Group Meeting 2017-12-28, 11:00-12:00, McBurney Graaskamp Rm (tentative) *
  • Coordinating Group Meetings

* Tentative meeting on Dec 28, between the holidays.

Coordinating Group members:

MemberUnitMemberUnitMemberUnit
Sandi ArendalkowskiDoIT MarketingSteven BoldtDCSGary De CluteCIO Office
Brendon DybdahlHousingApril EbacherDoIT ADIRyan EngelLSS
Matt GoinsDoIT PTEAndy GoldsteinDoIT ATLaura GradyDoIT Marketing
Jamie GutkowskiDoIT ADIJohn HareDoIT EIS  
Jini JastiLaw SchoolHaley KerkhoffDCSAl NemecCALS
Jessie NemecLibraries

Casey Schacher

LibrariesTodd Schwanke, (co-chair)McBurney Center
James SkempBusinessGarrett SmithDoIT ATPhyllis TreigeDoIT Marketing
Nick WeaverUniv. MarketingPeter Weil (co-chair)Univ. Marketing  
Also attendingUnitAlso attendingUnitAlso attendingUnit
Phil JochimsenDoIT EISLee KonradLibraries  
vacant, (sponsor)CIO OfficeCathy Trueba, (sponsor)Office of Compliance  

Liaisons

Attachments:

None

Contact

  • No labels