Please report any problems to the Shared Tools Team at st-help@doit.wisc.edu    Broken Links? Missing Macros? WIKI Retiring Plugins
Child pages
  • Phase I Meeting 2014-10-02
Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

Accessibility Phase I Task Force (Phase I) (a.k.a. the Tools Team)

Oct 2, 2014, 10:00-11:00, Union S., Scholars (2nd Floor)

Agenda 

  1. Introductions
     
  2. Agenda Review
     
    Action:

    • Add – answers to questions posed by Phil.

    • We also added a discussion on communications about the purchase and Phase I

    • We also added a discussion on project management for Phase I
       

  3. Notes from prior meeting meeting. Please send comments, corrections to Gary.
     

  4. Answers to questions posed by Phil
     
    Action:

    • Concluded that the URL "accessibility.wisc.edu" is too broad – it implies all forms of accessibility. Need something more specific.
    • URL used by SSB Bart to provide the service can be different from the URL that UW-Madison users utilize to get to the service. (They will be redirected to the NetID login page, which will in turn redirect them the correct address.)
    • No decision on what either URL should be. We jumped ahead to the items below. Ran out of time. Consensus was that this is not as easy a question as it seems on the surface, and it requires more discussion.  Will take this up at next meeting, along with Phil's other questions.
       
  5. Communications for Phase I
     
    Action:
    • Need to decide what our message is to those who are interested in trying out the tool without joining phase I. Will continue to discuss this at the next meeting.
    • Decided we need to make some kind of announcement soon. People are hearing about it and asking questions.
    • Idea: have a page to direct people to, with answers to questions, project status, etc.
    • Invite Laura Grady to next meeting. Laura is the communications specialist assigned to the project. (Al will contact her. Gary will make sure she gets the calendar invitation and meeting materials.)
       
  6. Project Management for Phase I
     
    Action:
    • Already in place: The tool is being implemented as a DoIT service.
    • The actual tool implementation and the technical and procedural rollout will be managed by the SALT team (Phil has the lead.) This will, (we hope,) eventually include Help Desk support, but not for a while yet. First thing is to get connected with SSB Bart Group and get NetID integrated.
    • We don't want the Phil and the SALT team to be dealing with curious users. We don't expect the SALT team to manage the phase I user community.
    • Managing Phase I and interacting with curious users will be handled by the Phase I Task Force (a.k.a. the Tools Team.) See "Communications for Phase I" above for some more detail on part of what that means.
    • We need to develop more detail to share with prospective Phase I participants.
      • The existing document (Phased Implementation Plan) is high level. Does not contain specifics such as timeline, training, more precise expectations, procedures, etc.
      • One example of something we need: Al is developing a questionaire for Phase I participants to use when reporting results/ideas. 
    • Do we need a project manager?
      • Project (of managing phase I user community) is starting to look too complicated for a team of volunteers who all have full time jobs elsewhere.
      • We can ask DoIT (Chris Holsman) about getting a project manager to assist us.
      • Before we ask, we need to be able to provide more info about what we plan to do, that would justify having a project manager
      • Vince will draft a project description for the team to consider at the next meeting.
         
  7. Official/actual transition to Phase I Task Force
     
    Action:

    • Gary will set up wiki pages, email list, and such for the Phase I Task Force

    • Although it will be the Phase I Task Force, folks can (and probably will) continue to call it the "Tools Team". Gary wil take that into account when cleaning up the old team's wiki pages and building the task force's pages and email list.
       

  8. Membership changes
     
    Action:

    • No specific decisions on who from the Tools Team is staying or leaving. All are welcome to stay.

    • Plan is to add at least one person from each unit participating in Phase I (if not already represented)

    • Some units may have multiple representatives, example: one for content issues/content providers and one for web development issues

    • Question posed but not answered: How large should we let the team become?
       

  9. Identifying units for Phase I
     
    Action:

    • Al is working on a survey for prospective units to help identify units.

    • School of Medicine and Public Health is interested in joining phase I. Contact is Jennifer Bonifas.

    • Al will follow up with Jennifer.

    • Al has a list of people who have contacted him. He'll follow up.
       

  10. How to interact with the Coordinating Group (if we propose something, we could present it at the 11:00 AM coordinating group meeting that follows)
     
    Action:

    • Already defined in the Phase I implementation plan that the task force reports to the Coordinating Group. 

    • Coordinating group is getting bi-weeking status reports from the members who are on both teams.

    • Further discussion was deferred until later. 
       

  11. Next steps
     
    Specific actions between meetings include:
    • Inviting Laura to next meeting (Al and Gary) see item 5 above.
    • Drafting a project plan (Vince) see item 6 above
    • Actual transition of wiki and lists from Tools Team to Phase I Task Force (Gary) see item 7 above.
    • Interacting with prospective Phase I participants (Al) see items 8 and 9 above.

Future agenda items

  1. Review overall plan: Phase I = a few interested departments, Phase II+ expand to more departments.
    1. Decide what to say to the campus about phase I.
    2. Identify specific departments that are willing to take a role in phase I
  2. Consider specific needs of three different constituencies. What tools (purchased or free) do we initially recommend for each constituency during Phase I?
    • enterprise level users,
    • web developers/web masters, and
    • content providers

Future Meetings:

 

 

 

 

 

Tools Team Members:

MemberUnit MemberUnit MemberUnit
Chris ArndtCALS Al Nemec (co-chair)CALS James SkempBusiness
Gary De CluteCIO Office (facilitator) Vince RoseDoIT Comm Tony TallmadgeCAE
Jessica JonesDoIT Comm Casey SchacherLibrary Phyllis Treige (co-chair)DoIT Comm
Emily MacalusoDoIT Comm Todd SchwankeMcBurney   

Attachments:

File Created Comment

ImplementationPhases-2014-08-28.docx

Oct 01, 2014 08:53 2014-08-28 version of implementation phases

Contact

  • No labels