This wiki is currently under construction. As a result, we may reorganize the structure and content. While we make an effort to eliminate typographical and grammatical errors, these mistakes happen. Send a note to Joe Goss and he'll get the error corrected.
This wiki and its content are provided as a free resource for the viewer. Any links to external documents, books, or articles do not imply any endorsement, either of that content, or of the provider of that content.
While we attempt to maintain the links to external information sources, websites evolve and a link to an external page may break. Please send information about a broken link to Joe Goss.
Research and Analysis regarding Servant Leadership
Blog posts on Servant Leadership which reference a recent study published in the Journal of Applied Psychology
The following resources are listed in alphabetic order by organization or location title. Note: for access to materials, some sites may require you to create a login and password. At last check all of these resources are available at no cost.
American Management Association
Servant Leadership: Creating Culture and Sustaining Performance (Webinar) Join business guru Ken Blanchard and Southwest Airlines president emeritus Colleen Barrett as they explore the keys to creating an organizational culture that achieves and sustains high performance. During this program youll hear about the leadership secrets that have propelled Southwest Airlines and other great companies to unparalleled success.
The Servant Leader: How to Build a Creative Team, Develop Great Morale, and Improve Bottom-Line Performance, book containing many day-to-day examples of Servant-Leadership in practice
Columbus State University
Center for Servant Leadership at the Pastoral Institute - ILead2Serve
Site includes articles and blogs by Kelvin Redd, Director of the Center
Classes (some link targets list syllabi and course readings)
- Contemporary Thought on Servant-Leadership (Fall, 2010)
- Servant-Leadership (Spring, 2011)
- Servant Leadership Intensive (Theory and Practice) (Spring, 2011)
- Servant-Leadership Seminar (Spring, 2011)
- Applied Servant-Leadership (Spring, 2010)
- Servant-Leadership: Reading, Writing, and Practicing (Summer, 2009)
- Servant-Leadership, Justice, and Forgiveness (Fall, 2007)
The Greenleaf Center for Servant-Leadership
Introduction - What is Servant-Leadership?
Extensive Bibliography of Resources
Articles by Kent M. Keith, CEO of the Greenleaf Center
Greenleaf Center Programs – Academy, Scholars, and Retreats
Speakers Bureau and Seminars
Calendar of Events
For Members (bibliography, articles, site list, university programs)
The Hine Bibliography contains 542 annotated references of selected monographic resources on servant leadership.
ILead2Serve is Kelvin Redd's Blog about Servant Leadership. The site includes inspiring video clips and narrative. Kelvin is the Director of the Center for Servant Leadership at the Pastoral Institute in Columbus, Georgia. He is the author of the book "Stand Tall: Essays on Life and Servant Leadership." Kelvin is a featured leadership facilitator, keynote speaker, Certified Emergenetics Associate, and professional business coach. Kelvin writes a monthly newsletter, "Servant Leadership Today." He has hosted a television show on servant leadership and has been a college adjunct instructor.
International Journal of Servant-Leadership
The following articles have been recommended:
- Autry, James. “A Place for Poetry: What Personnel Handbooks Never Tell You.” The International Journal of Servant-Leadership 1:1 (2005) 281-282.
- Chapman, Nadine. “A Poetics of Servant Leadership.” The International Journal of Servant-Leadership 2:1 (2006) 377-398.
- Evers-Williams, Myrlie. “Servant-Leadership: Love, Honor, and Courage.” The International Journal of Servant-Leadership 3:1 (2007) 95-105.
- Greenleaf, Robert. “Greenleaf on Servant-Leadership.” The International Journal of Servant-Leadership 1:1 (2005) 19-27.
- Palmer, Parker. Interview by Michael Lieberman Carey, Mike Poutiatine, and Shann Ferch. “Parker Palmer on Servant-Leadership.” The International Journal of Servant-Leadership 3:1 (2007) 399-409.
Lead2XL – Some Contrary Views
Books Recommended by members of the Servant-Leadership LinkedIn Group
- A Hidden Wholeness: The Journey Toward an Undivided Life by Parker Palmer
- Authentic Leadership by Bill George
- Becoming a Servant Leader: Do you have what it takes? by John E. Barbuto, Jr, and Daniel W. Wheeler
- Conceptual Framework for Measuring Servant Leadership by Don Page, Paul T. P. Wong
- Defining and measuring servant leadership behavior in organizations by Sendjaya, Sarros, & Santora
- Delivering Happiness by Hsieh
- Four Facts of Servant Leadership by Dave Anderson
- Good to Great by Jim Collins - Outstanding book that tracks the rise of some major American corporations and why they succeeded where other failed. "Level 5 Leadership" maps well to Servant-Leadership.
- Its Not About the Coffee by Behar
- Journey to the East by Herman Hesse
- Leadership for All the Mountains You Climb - While Loving the View by Mark W. Altman
- Leadership is an Art by Max DePree
- Leadership on the Line: Staying Alive Through the Dangers of Leading by Ronald A. Heifetz and Marty Linsky.
- Linchpin by Seth Godin
- Love Leadership by John Hope Bryant
- Making the Grass Greener on Your Side by Melrose
- Martin Luther King, Jr. on Leadership: Inspiration & Wisdom for Challenging Times by Donald T. Phillips
- Master Leaders by George Barna
- Multipliers by Liz Wiseman
- Personal Interview of Benjamin Lichtenwalner
- Practicing Servant-Leadership: Succeeding Through Trust, Bravery, and Forgiveness by Larry Spears and Michelle Lawrence
- Rethinking Organizational and Managerial Communication from feminist perspectives by Buzzanell
- The Servant by James C. Hunter. Great overview of some sorely needed characteristics.
- Serve to Lead by James Strock
- Servant Leadership by Ken Blanchard
- Servant Leadership by Robert Greenleaf
- Servant Leadership: A Journey Into the Nature of Legitimate Power and Greatness by Robert Greenleaf
- Servant Leadership: An Introduction to the Power of Leadership Through Service by Benjamin Lichtenwalner
- Servant leadership: It's origin, development, and application in organization by Sarros
- Seven Pillars of Servant Leadership: Practicing the Wisdom of Leading by Serving by James W. Sipe and Don M. Frick
- Synchronicity: the Inner Path of Leadership by Joseph Jaworski
- The Case for Servant Leadership by Kent Keith
- The Servant by James Hunter
- The Servant Leader: How to Build a Creative Team, Develop Great Morale, and Improve Bottom-Line Performance by James Autry - A hands-on book with many examples of how to guide an organizaiton to adopt Servant-Leadership practices
- The World's Most Powerful Leadership Principle: How to Become a Servant Leader by James Hunter
- The Case for Servant Leadership by Dr Kent Keith
- The Three Marriages: Reimagining Work, Self and Relationship by David Whyte
They Smell Like Sheep by Lynn Anderson
- Tribal Leadership by Dave Logan
- Where Have All the Leaders Gone by Lee Iaccoca
Modern Servant Leader
Site describes its mission to spread awareness and adoption of servant leadership principles while supporting those already practicing these principles. Content on the site supports this mission.
Resources for the Beginning Servant-Leader (with brief abstracts)
Milwaukee School of Engineering
The Servant Leader chair is responsible for helping faculty integrate the concept of Servant-Leadership into current philosophy and ethics courses and develop a new course on the topic. On the student life side, he or she helps integrate the philosophy throughout the social fabric and culture of the university through extracurricular programs. The chair works closely with both the vice president of academics and the vice president for student life offices.
Pfizer Public Health Books
Moments in Leadership – Case Studies in Public Health Policy and Practice (see Introduction)
Servant Leadership: the Complexity of a Simple Idea (Excellent summary of servant-leadership concepts as cited in sources from multiple authors)
Servant Leaders Put Responsibilities First (Introductory article published in the LaCrosse Tribune, LaCrosse, WI)
Servant Leader Institute
The Spears Center for Servant-Leadership
Myers-Briggs and Servant-Leadership
Seekers Anonymous: On Being a Seeker in the 21st Century
Why Scanlon Matters: Understanding Epic Leadership Principles
Savoring Life through Servant-Leadership
International Journal of Servant-Leadership, 2005
International Journal of Servant-Leadership, 2006
International Journal of Servant-Leadership, 2007
The Journal of Virtues and Leadership, 2010
Links to other Web-based Resources
Philadelphia Freedom Schools: Servant-Leadership in Action
TD Industries is a Dallas-based construction company focusing on facilities, mechanical construction, and energy audits. The company has whole-heatedly adopted Servant-Leadership. For more information, click here
Trinity Western University
Master of Arts in Leadership (click on Servant Leadership on the left-hand menu)
A Conceptual Framework for Measuring Servant-Leadership
Self-Assessment – Are You a Servant-Leader?
University of Nebraska – Lincoln Extension
University of Wisconsin - Madison
College of Engineering
Student Leadership Center
The College of Engineering Student Leadership Center (SLC) fosters leadership through a variety of co-curricular programs, services and activities. The center seeks to improve efficiency within the numerous engineering-affiliated student organizations, provides assistance with organizational management and inspires students to practice teamwork and social responsibility.
Books on Servant Leadership available in the SLC are:
- The Leadership Crisis, A Message for College and University Faculty
- The Case for Servant Leadership, by Kent Keith
- Stand Tall: Essays on Life and Servant Leadership, by Kelvin Redd
- Start with Humility: Lessons from America's Quiet CEOs on How to Build Trust and Inspire Followers, by Merwyn Hayes and Michael Comer
- Servant Institutions in Business, by Jerry Glashagel
- Servant Leadership in the Boardroom: Fulfilling the Public Trust, by Kent Keith
- Greenleaf and Servant-Leader Listening, by Don Frick
Pieper Servant Leadership Program
The Servant Leadership Chair helps prepare future leaders in their chosen fields to live lives of service to others by teaching and exemplifying character and moral values. Their examples and actions lift up society, enrich organizations and communities, and have a positive effect on the least privileged.
Servant-Leadership Learning Community Office of Human Resource Development
Located in La Crosse Wisconsin, Viterbo has a graduate program in Servant-Leadership. Click here.
Worldwide Network for Servant-Leadership
Site is self-described as a platform which facilitates communication and collaboration on the topic of Servant Leadership. Site is sponsored by the Greenleaf Center. Note: free and unobtrusive sign-up is required for access to the full site.
YouTube.com (approximately 1400 videos with many duplicates)
Servant-Leadership – Tom Peters
Desmond Tutu on Leadership
Southwest Airlines Colleen Barrett on Servant-Leadership
Servant Leadership Video Based on Robert Greenleaf's Writings
CHARACTER: Tom Griffin Servant Leadership Insights
Servant Leadership at Viterbo University
Day 30 Part 1 - Servant Leadership with Denis Waitely
Day 30 Part 2 - Servant Leadership with Denis Waitely