Please report any problems to the Shared Tools Team at st-help@doit.wisc.edu    Broken Links? Missing Macros? WIKI Retiring Plugins
Child pages
  • PAT EC Meeting 2019-10-01
Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

Policy Planning and Analysis Team Executive Committee (PAT EC) Meeting

Tue, 3:00-4:00, Rm 2112CS (Bob's Office)

Attending: _x_Bruce Barton,  _x_Jennifer Bonifas,  _x_Joe Salmons,  __Bob Turner,  _x_Sue Weier.  Also attending: _x_Gary De Clute (facilitator), __Ed Jalinske (IT Policy Lead), __Stefan Wahe(attending for Bob)

Agenda

  1. Preliminaries: Welcome, introductions, agenda review, and notes from prior PAT EC meeting, review prior PAT meeting, announcements. (5 min)
    Handouts: Prev EC meeting minutes

    • Please send comments and corrections to Gary. 
      .
  2. Review previous PAT plenary meeting (5 min) 
    Goal: Improve the PAT plenary meetings
    • OK.
      .
  3. PAT Subcommittees, Status and Reports (10 min)
    Goal: Manage the PAT subcommittees.
    Items updated since the last EC meeting are underlined and colored red.
    .
    1. Communications (ongoing) – See 2019-08-21 meeting notes. See 2019-10-16 for next agenda.
      Goal this EC meeting: FYI
         * Title of Nov IT Policy Forum is: Shaping the Future of IT Policy.
         * Ed is organizing this forum. Gary is advising.
       .
    2. Portfolio (ongoing) – August and September meetings were canceled. See 2019-10-08 for next agenda.
      Goals this EC meeting: FYI
         * Team will meet in October to discuss the revised description, current list of portfolios to the appendix to the PP&P, and future meeting schedule.

         * Current intent is to meet once per semester, but could have special meetings if necessary.

      .
    3. Process (ongoing) – August and September meetings were canceled. See 2019-10-10 for next agenda.
      Goal this EC meeting: FYI
         * In October, discuss the topic of the IT Policy Forum: Shaping the Future of IT Policy, from a process perspective.
      .
    4. Incident Response (ad hoc, currently inactive)
      Goal this EC meeting:
      • Should we terminate the incident response ad hoc subcommittee or convert it into a drafting team? Example decision criteria:
        • Option 1: Terminate provided that the incident response team for the UW System 2 Yr work plan agrees to serve as the drafting team
        • Option 2: If they do not agree, then convert the PAT subcommittee into the drafting team.
      • Note: Was formed in Summer of 2018 to revise the policy for compatibility with UW System policy and procedure, and general improvement of readability.
        • Met once. No action since. (We have since been waiting for guidance on GDPR, and revision of the UW System policy.)
          .
    5. Encryption (ad hoc, currently inactive)
      Goal this EC meeting:
      • Similar question for the encryption subcommittee, with similar decision criteria.
      • Note: This ad hoc subcommittee was formed in Summer of 2018 to revise the policy and standard for compatibility with UW System policy and procedure.
        • Met several times reported back a draft policy to PAT, which rejected the draft and decided to wait for further development on 2 year work plan.
          .
    6. PAT Drafting Teams
      Goal this EC meeting: FYI.
      For future reference, the EC should review and adjust drafting team membership as they are formed. The EC can also make adjustments to existing teams.
      .
      The PAT Executive Committee sponsors and provides direction to the PAT Drafting Teams. Many different groups and individuals review and suggest changes to policy-related documents. The DT has editorial control of the documents for a particular IT Policy initiative. Please see the PAT Charter for details. Updated: 2019-09-29.

      Active Drafting Teams

      Pending Drafting Teams

        .
    Action on subcommittee status:
    • We will ask the Encryption Work Plan team if they are willing to serve as the drafting team.
    • Decided to ask the Work Plan team for Incident Response the same question. FOLLOW UP from Oct 4: There is no work plan team for incident response. Need to revisit this at the next EC meeting.
      .
  4. Draft of IT Policy Principles and Procedures (5 min)
    Goal: Will the EC serve as the drafting team for the PP&P?
    Handout: Draft revision of IT Policy Principles and Procedures, changes marked (version 2019-03-15-TO-2019-09-28)
    Reference: Unmarked copy (version 2019-09-28)
    .
    Action:
    • Made one change to definition of Best Practices.
    • Please review and comment by COB on Mon, Oct 7.
    • NOTE: Next PAT meeting is Oct 15. Review of the PP&P is on that draft agenda. See agenda item #6.
      .
  5. Recommended PAT Charter Revisions (20 min)
    Handouts:
       * Current PAT Charter and Interim Operating Procedures
       * List of recommended changes (2019-09-03 version)
    .
    Action:
    • Please review and comment on the recommended changes by COB on Oct 7.
    • NOTE: Next PAT meeting is Oct 15. Review of the Charter recommendations is on that draft agenda. See agenda item #6.
    • Gary will re-order the recommended changes items early on the list do no depend upon items later in the list.
      .
  6. Planning for the next plenary meeting of the PAT (15 minutes)
    Goal: Plan the next plenary meeting agenda.

    Handout:  Draft agenda  
    .
    Action:
    • Reduce time for PP&P discussion to 20 min. They have already agreed to the recommended changes at last PAT meeting. Not much to consider at this meeting.
    • Add time saved to the discussion of the PAT Charter. This is new material and there will be significant discussion.
    • Swap the two items to assure that PP&P does not take extra time and the PAT Charter gets sufficient discussion.
      .
  7. Review of status and planning documents (as time permits)
    Goal: Review highlights of the following status and planning documents (see latest versions).
       * Policy Initiative Chart
       * PAT Work Plan

       * PAT Vision
       * Proposed Schedule of ITC policy-related activity

    Handouts: All of the above.

    Action:
    • ...
         .
  8. For next EC meeting:
    Standing agenda items:
    • Review previous plenary meeting.
    • Review, adjust subcommittee activity.
    • Set agenda for the next plenary meeting agenda.
    Special agenda items:
    • Discussion of balancing strength of security vs. disruption. Decide if this should be addressed at the PAT first (in Nov), or is this a discussion that should go directly to the ITC.
    • Follow up from Oct 4: Discuss drafting team for incident reporting. There is no work plan team for incident response.

PAT Status Summary

PAT Status Summary

Ground Rules

  1. Everyone must be treated respectfully, whether present or not.
  2. Everyone present who wants to speak on a topic must have a chance to speak.
  3. Attend more often than not, and review materials when you can't attend.
  4. Don't be shy, or worry about perception of an idea - we need open borders for these discussions.
  5. Let's park side issues or extensive detail for future work by this team, or others.

Future Agenda Items

  • Discussion of balancing strength of security vs. disruption. Decide if this should be addressed at the PAT first (in Nov), or is this a discussion that should go directly to the ITC.

Meeting Schedule

  • PAT EC Meeting 2020-02-04, Tue 3:00-4:00, Rm 2112CS (CISO's Office)
  • PAT EC Meeting 2020-03-03, Tue 3:00-4:00, Rm 2112CS (CISO's Office)
  • PAT EC Meeting 2020-04-07, Tue 3:00-4:00, Rm 2112CS (CISO's Office)
  • PAT EC Meeting 2020-05-05, Tue 3:00-4:00, Rm 2112CS (CISO's Office)
  • PAT EC Meeting 2020-06-02, Tue 3:00-4:00, Rm 2112CS (CISO's Office)
  • PAT EC Meeting 2020-07-07, Tue 3:00-4:00, Rm 2112CS (CISO's Office)
  • PAT EC Meeting 2020-08-04, Tue 3:00-4:00, Rm 2112CS (CISO's Office)

PAT EC members


Member

Type

Unit


Member

Type

Unit


Member

Type

Unit

Bruce BartonAppointed
by DTAG
GLS
Jennifer Bonifas
(Co-chair)
Appointed
by ITSC
SMPH

Joe Salmons
(Co-chair)

Chair
of ITC

ITC

Bob Turner

Permanent
(CISO)

Cybersecurity


Sue Weier

Appointed
(Interim)

L&S



Quorum is three. Also attending as ex officio: Sara Tate-Pederson (SME IT Policy), Ed Jalinske (SME IT Policy), Kim Miller (Communications), Stefan Wahe (CALS)

Attachments

  • No labels